Trail Boss in .455

Sharps '63

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
With 230 .452 RN and RCBS 265 HB using 5 grs Unique, my Colt NS prints 6-8" high at 15 yds off hand.
In desperation I tried 4.5 grs Trail Boss with the 230 RN - Bingo! It printed right on POA. For pistols older than the MK IV and MK VI Webleys, I'd cut that back to 4.0 grs.
 
That's very interesting. A lot (most) of the .455 webleys I've tried have shot high as your colt did. Now I'm going to have to look into the trailboss.
 
With 230 .452 RN and RCBS 265 HB using 5 grs Unique, my Colt NS prints 6-8" high at 15 yds off hand.
In desperation I tried 4.5 grs Trail Boss with the 230 RN - Bingo! It printed right on POA. For pistols older than the MK IV and MK VI Webleys, I'd cut that back to 4.0 grs.

Which cartridge were you using?? .455 webley or a .45acp/autorim? Makes quite a difference in pressures!
 
FWIW, I use 2.5gr Trailboss with a 200gr SWC bullet in .450 cartridges in my RIC. Modest load. Trimmed .455 Mk.II cases.
Elevation is bang on.
 
.455 ammo

I was using cases cut from Starline and WW .45 Colt brass as well as original Dominion .455.
There is definitely a pressure difference between the two with the same load.
That's why I think reducing the charge by at least 1/2 gr might be prudent for some older guns, especially with the soild head cases. I don't think it's a problem for the Colt NS.

I too was surprised that the lead .451-.452 230 RN .45 ACP bullets shot so well - a nice 2" x 2-1/2" group at 15 yards off hand. I've got some loads made up with the RCBS 265 Webley HB bullets and we'll see how they fare by comparison.

I kind of like the look of the rounds loaded with the 230 RN. It's what a .45 round ought to look like with modern smokeless powder instead of the great honking .45 Colt case .....
 
Yes, it's good to clarify here.

The loads given in the first post were not intended for the .455 Webley MKII cartridge case, which is afaik the only current commercially available .455 webley headstamped brass.

The OP was referring to the larger Dominion Cartridge Co. produced .455 cartridges known as .455 Eley or .455 colt or .455 webley MKI.

I haven't tried it myself, but looking at data from similar cartridges I would be hesitant to us 4 gr TB as a starting load in the short MKII .455 case, esp. with the normal webley bullets. I think I would start out at 3 gr and work up.
 
Prudence

Prudence is always a good thing when it comes to reloading for antiques.

When it comes to my Colt NS, I'm not so circumspect, nor with my MK VI. I have fired the Dominion brass 4.5 TB load in my Tranter 450, but I had that cylinder magnafluxed first.

3.5 to 4.0 grs sounds reasonable as a starting load for shorter than Dominion brass. But - remember, it is recommended by the maker that the load be enough to make contact with the bullet base, even slight compression; emphasis on 'slight'.

If that exceeds any of the above loads, TB may not be suitable for that gun.
 
Back
Top Bottom