Transferring ownership of "registered" antique status handguns

detonator

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Does anyone know what the procedure is when changing ownership of a "registered" antique status firearm like a C96 Broomhandle? (registered to get the RCMP antique status letter) Do the RCMP need to be notified, forms filled out? Or because it's deemed a non-firearm nothing is required to be done?
 
Last edited:
My experience has been that if it qualifies as an antique under Canadian Firearms guidelines they will inform you that it doesn't need to be registered and if it was during the mad rush to register everything at the onset of C68,( the folks at Mirinachi were very much inexperienced and over worked at the time so a lot of "antiques" were rgistered) they will de-register it and issue you the letter. Be patient tho, the last one I did (10 yrs ago) took over a year to complete, even with a 'verifier" sheet provided.
 
An antique is a firearm. It is just not subject to the same regulations as a modern firearm.
If the thing has been formally reclassified as an antique, the CFP is no longer involved.
 
I'm not sure you guys are understanding what I'm asking.

The C96 was registered by me to get the antique status RCMP letter as that is the only way to get an RCMP antique status letter these days from what I've been told. They now have in their files that this antique status C96 is registered to me . What if I give it or sell it to someone? They still have it in their files as registered to me, so I was wondering if I needed to do a transfer of ownership form or something, or does it not matter that it is registered to me but not owned by me any more because of it's antique status?
 
You were involved in the reclassification of the thing to antique status. It was in your hands at that time. There is no requirement to involve the CFP in the future.
If, at some time in the future, the pistol were to turn up in circumstances that attracted official attention, let's say in a HA clubhouse, the fact that you possessed it at one time, and applied to have it reclassified would be noted. You might get a phone call asking if you had sold it to a patched member of the HA.
You could call the CFP and ask if there is a transfer procedure for a registration and licence exempt antique handgun.
 
I recently spoke with the Antique division of the CFP and specifically asked this very question detonator. I asked about the same scenario and whether a new letter would be issued to the new owner in the event I'd sell the one ( I ) was having lettered as an Antique, because like you I-too was doing it in my name.

The Tech told me the letters issued are issued for the life of the firearm and are in no-ones specific name, they're basically for ease of differentiating between the classes each falls under. I then asked about the top page (because there are 2-pages that come when it's mailed; & the first says "Joe Blow" and his/her address) then the 2nd contains serial # etc etc as you know... my question on that page was to do with my name being on there and the answer back was that all the first page is (with the name & address) is a cover page. That doesn't have to go with the firearm anywhere beyond you; initially. Page 2 with the serial number & model n all is the one that counts & is recommended to be kept together and be present there-on for proof of that guns status-class.

So hopefully this answers your question. Short answer is the Antique's are-not registered to anyone specific regardless of who initiates the status letter... it's plain & simply an RCMP documented (proof-letter/courtesy-letter) for clarity on what "Class" that given piece falls under and-to which regulations still apply so there is no confusion between "it" and a designated true Restricted [to which the regulations ARE very different]

Personally. I like the Antique program the way it's presented. Of all the entire Firearms Program, the Antiques are probably handled the most fairly & simplest of all. Something that can't be said very often anymore in the firearm sector!
 
Years ago I registered an antique revolver when I did not have to.
In 2007 I decided to de-register it as I did not want the problem when I decide to sell it.
In those days they should never have registered it.
This revolver was acquired in 1971.



The revolver in question.

 
I looked through my records and realized that two of my antique revolvers had been registered in the old system and then again in the new system---both considered restricted.







These are the two revolvers in question---M1858 Starr D/A and New Model Remington Army revolver.

 
Probably my suspicious nature, but I question whether the RCMP would delete records of who applied to have a specific firearm reclassified.
 
Probably my suspicious nature, but I question whether the RCMP would delete records of who applied to have a specific firearm reclassified.

Guess to clarify my-own post above, mine wasn't a registered and then reclassified one, it's just a plain jane through & through Antique that I had lettered for an RCMP Antique-status letter... the through & through Antiques that were Antique right from the get go far as classification goes were the ones my post has to do with.

Not a registered and then de-registered one of any kind. Just wanted to clarify that bit.
 
I recently spoke with the Antique division of the CFP and specifically asked this very question detonator. I asked about the same scenario and whether a new letter would be issued to the new owner in the event I'd sell the one ( I ) was having lettered as an Antique, because like you I-too was doing it in my name.

That answers my question completely. Thanks so much whiskeywillow.
 
I dont own any, but always wondered what is the Storage requirements for an Antique handgun? Are they specific to an Antique or are you required to treat it as a Restricted handgun? Loaded/locked ammo close etc? Thnx
 
Back
Top Bottom