Trapdoor replicas by H&R - Good, Bad, Ugly?

Killer Kanuck

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Location
PEI
Just curious if anyone here owns/has owned one of the model 1873 Trapdoor Springfield replicas that was made by H&R in the 1970's, and if they do, their thoughts on them. For a modern made replica, besides Pedersoli they seem to be the only game in town.
 
Just curious if anyone here owns/has owned one of the model 1873 Trapdoor Springfield replicas that was made by H&R in the 1970's, and if they do, their thoughts on them. For a modern made replica, besides Pedersoli they seem to be the only game in town.

I've seen\handled one of them in the past, but can't remember where. Never owned one myself. It seemed to be solid enough, but I never fired it, so I can't vouch for the accuracy. If I had the opportunity (and the spare change... :) ), I'd buy one for sure.

Hope this helps,

Jim
 
I had one about 20 years ago, and regret ever letting it out of my hands. Lot's of fun to shoot, well made, High cool factor. Sigh.
 
H&R trapdoor Springfields

I had one of the Officer's Models back in the 80s. It seemed well made, and shot quite well.

There are three levels of loading with the 45-70. As it is not the strongest action, the Springfield is classified as the lowest level for reloading. The highest level loads were for the Ruger number one.
 
I have had about 6 or 8 over the years in various models but never fired one. They appear to be well built and look great. The Officer model was nice but didn't appeal to me, I guess it didn't look military enough for me.
When you have had the originals the replicas don't quite do it.
 
There was a problem with a batch of them made years ago , I beleive it was the officers model.It was something to do with the latch arrangement and how it was attached to the breechblock.It seems that the H & R trapdoors used a different method of attaching the latch than the originals and it coul possiblly let go and open the breech upon firing.There is a trapdoor forum and you can check it out on there.That said I owned several H& R trapdoors including the rare infantry model (which I foolishly let go) and never had a problem with them.
 
h&r replica

i know 2 guys that have em, just like any other replica, rather newish looking, but still are neat, usually good shooters, however should still only shoot the original loading in them, 405 grn sp, or black powder lead bullet loads, action still isnt strong for higher pressure loads
 
H&R Officers model

Had one of the 1871-1971, officers commemorative models, it was an excellent shooting example of a carbine, I updated the original back sight with another tang sight with finer adjustments, with a 385 grain cast bullet and 10.7 grains of Unique,it would put every round into a 2" circle at 100yards, and sometimes smaller, all day, off of a bench and sand bag combination.
It developed a tendency to partially release the locking latch, and that was finally cured by replacing the latch screw with a longer nylock allen screw,was a pleasure to shoot and own, regards Bully
 
There was a problem with a batch of them made years ago , I beleive it was the officers model.It was something to do with the latch arrangement and how it was attached to the breechblock.It seems that the H & R trapdoors used a different method of attaching the latch than the originals and it coul possiblly let go and open the breech upon firing.There is a trapdoor forum and you can check it out on there.That said I owned several H& R trapdoors including the rare infantry model (which I foolishly let go) and never had a problem with them.

I believe that applied to all of the H&R trapdoors. Also some of the earlier Italian replicas.
 
Back
Top Bottom