Trapdoor Replicas

Turkeyslayer 1300

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Location
Russell, Ontario
Is anyone shooting a Replica Trapdoor Springfield? I was recently given a H&R Little Bighorn Officers Model that needs some TLC.

Any experience good or bad ? I think starting with a trapdoor rifle is a good way to get started with the .45-70.
 
I don't know of that particular make and model of trapdoor, but they are great little rifles if you stick to trapdoor loads.
 
The original 500 grain Roundnose bullet, cast very soft of 30-1 or pure lead, with BP lube and a full case of FFG would get you started, some folks use this load with out using a set of dies. For hunting or very long range work, different bullets work well, a heavier bullet with a more streamlined shape works for long range and sillywets. Hunting bullets are usually lighter with a flat point, again, all should be very soft cast.
 
I agree on the soft casting. I typically try to find usable wheel weight bullets because they are very cheap, but it is VERY difficult to find the right load that won't lead up the bore :(

If you want easy, stick to soft or even pure lead.
 
Back
Top Bottom