Triple 7 or Pyrodex

Bluffton Bill

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Location
Camrose
Is there a big difference in these black powder substitutes with regard to how easy they ignite? Reason I ask is I tried some Triple 7 powder in my percussion rifle and seemed to have a few more misfires than usual. I used number 11 caps.
 
I read an article a few years back about a man that took 4 cans of Pyrodex and tested them about 6 months apart. The cans were tested for velocity and accuracy every 6 months. He found that the powder deteriorated over a very short time and both velocity and accuracy degraded. If I remember he said after a year it had the ignition qualities of dirt. I stopped using Pyrodex as I found that newly opened cans were very good, accuracy wise, however I experienced frequent misfires/hangfires and poor accuracy from powder that was over 1 year old. Keep in mind I was using it in a side lock, not an inline. I'd think that an inline would have better ignition qualities and perhaps not have the same poor results I was getting. In newly opened cans of Pyrodex accuracy was very good.
 
Ignition is not the problem,carbon fouling is. If the path between the nipple and the breach has any right angles you will have to clean that path every time to assure reliable ignition.
 
I have had issues with FFG T7 and #11 caps in my TC Hawken. I switched to FFFG and musket caps and am now getting very reliable ignition. Pyrodex RS is indeed a bit easier to ignite, but produces more fouling than T7. I suggest trying T7 FFFG. It is significantly easier to ignite than FFG. If you do, you may want to reduce your charge by about 10%, relative to FFG.
 
Ignition is not the problem,carbon fouling is. If the path between the nipple and the breach has any right angles you will have to clean that path every time to assure reliable ignition.

My buddy had the same problem with his TC Hawken I use 777 powder in my Triumph works well 0 Issues
 
Back
Top Bottom