Triple Seven in a modern side lock ?

warrenlikesboats

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a modern, Traditions Kentucky flintlock. Can I use Triple Seven in this firearm ? In the granular form , ive read stuff on there website about reducing the charge by 15% and not to use it in the pellet form, but thats it. Nothing else regarding modern sidelocks.

Couldnt get a response from Traditions...
 
I have a modern, Traditions Kentucky flintlock. Can I use Triple Seven in this firearm ? In the granular form , ive read stuff on there website about reducing the charge by 15% and not to use it in the pellet form, but thats it. Nothing else regarding modern sidelocks.

Couldnt get a response from Traditions...

Having experimented a bit, T7 is a terrible choice for a flintlock. Best choice is normal blackpowder to ensure ignition
 
Hodgen recommends pouring 5 grains FFFFg down bore, and then adding a 777 charge decreased by 5 grains to ensure ignition. I might have to give this a try.

On a side note; when you guys prime the pan, do you turn the gun on its side and then pour a little FFFFg in the vent hole, then fill the pan ? thats what i currently do, but ive noticed on youtube videos, many flintlock shooters appear to just pour some FFFFg in the pan, without apparently filling the vent hole ??? thanks for the impute.
 
A common(fairly) method is to charge the pan, close the frizzen then slap the lock with your flat hand to move the powder away from the vent but keep it in the pan--good results and quicker touch-off. Cheers
 
I would say no as my experience has been a TC scout and a Knight MK85 using loose Triple 7 and #11 caps experienced hang fires and FTF 2or3 out of 5 shots. The scout was particularly bad. Hodgen Triple 7 used to say it could be used in all BP guns but they have since come out with the addition of 5grn of black in sidelocks to light the T7
 
Tried triple seven today in the flintlock, poured around 5-7 volumetric grains of FFFFg down the bore, followed by 70grains of FFg 777. Primed the pan as usual with geox FFFFg powder and BOOM! Seems to work great 9/10 rounds fired seemesly. One shot may have had to little powder in the pan.
 
I have a modern, Traditions Kentucky flintlock. Can I use Triple Seven in this firearm ? In the granular form , ive read stuff on there website about reducing the charge by 15% and not to use it in the pellet form, but thats it. Nothing else regarding modern sidelocks.

Couldnt get a response from Traditions...

Reducing the charge is a moot point, It won't go bang in a flinter. On the odd chance it does go bang, a reduced charge is a smart thing to do.
 
How do you like the Traditions Kentucky flintlock? I see Cabelas has them on their website for sale.

I love it! considering at the time i bought it, i only payed around $400 for it. It strikes me as an excellent muzzleloader for beginners, because its easier to clean than the original styled ones, and you dont have alot of money invested in it if something goes wrong (like you screwed up cleaning it). Flintlock is the funnest gun ive owned yet.

It shoots conical slugs fairly accurately too, im going to take a deer with it this fall.
 
Back
Top Bottom