Trying to find an antique large cal. shooter .Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
also if you going to make it a regular shooter then low pressure loads are the trick price is everything but antique really should not be a everyday shooter there is plenty of new made guns to go around that you don't have to reload for. antiques you almost have to reload
 
If you're thinking of it as a carry piece, forget it. T'ain't legal. Despite what you may see on the internet.
As mentioned, your budget will determine what you can have.
 
If you're thinking of it as a carry piece, forget it. T'ain't legal. Despite what you may see on the internet.
As mentioned, your budget will determine what you can have.

Wrong... It's leal to carry an antique revolver anyplace you can carry a non-restricted.
 
Thanks for the info.I do reload. I only plan to shoot it enough to get competent with it. My plan is to carry the gun on my ranch or when hiking for protection from large predators .Your suggestions on the best caliber and loads would be appreciated .I would like to stay under 2000.00 . . .I already have a lot of modern pistols but want to be legal.
 
Thanks for the info.I do reload. I only plan to shoot it enough to get competent with it. My plan is to carry the gun on my ranch or when hiking for protection from large predators .Your suggestions on the best caliber and loads would be appreciated .I would like to stay under 2000.00 . . .I already have a lot of modern pistols but want to be legal.

Any antique gun under $2k isn't going to be appropriate for defense from "large predators". Go buy a mares leg and put a full stock on it or a short shotgun.
 
Thanks for the info.I do reload. I only plan to shoot it enough to get competent with it. My plan is to carry the gun on my ranch or when hiking for protection from large predators .Your suggestions on the best caliber and loads would be appreciated .I would like to stay under 2000.00 . . .I already have a lot of modern pistols but want to be legal.


Sounds like a job for the M1879 Reichsrevolver !
 
LOL, Personally I'd think you would have better success stopping a bear attack with a stout stick than an antique 455 webley. Yes you could do some damage to a bear but OTOH the bear could probably make stew-sized pieces out of you before he died of the wounds you inflicted with your wimpy 455 webley. Do you see the problem here??

The OP would be much better served using a modern firearm, either a stubby 12 gauge pump or one of the mares leg lever actions. You can get a 12-14" barreled 12 gauge pump for $300 or less, and it will actually have some stopping power and be useful.
 
Last edited:
I agree that a mare's leg or 12 gauge has far better stopping power. But. There's something to be said for being able to keep something on you at all times. A revolver in a holster will never be set down to carry wood for a fire or setup a tent. :)
 
I agree that a mare's leg or 12 gauge has far better stopping power. But. There's something to be said for being able to keep something on you at all times. A revolver in a holster will never be set down to carry wood for a fire or setup a tent. :)

LOL - Well there definitely is an upside, if you do get off a shot from the webley on your holster that could at least make it easier for wildlife officers to identify the bear when they investigate your demise. Possibly that will be comforting to your family in some small way, but "anything is better than nothing" doesn't really count when you're the guest of honour at the funeral.

Seriously - a 22 long rifle pentrates better than a traditional 455 webley load and you'd be much better off with a good knife on your belt. Of course if this is just an excuse to wear your webley then by all means do so with my blessing, but if bears are an actual threat you really need to think it through a bit better.

If you are one of the 0.1% of people who actually does have a valid reason to be concerned with bear attacks then you can apply for a wilderness carry permit for a modern revolver in a much more effective chambering. Start at 44 mag as a minmum and go up from there.

99.9% of the people who engage in "bear defense" discussions will not ever be in that position in their lifetime. Do whatever you think is best, but try not to be delusional about it.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom