Trying to Identify this Smooth bore Hammer 56K warning

niteshade

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey gang, I am trying to identify this smooth bore (rusty) rifle.

thoughts?

Brad

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG
 
My guess would be that it is a belgian pinfire (cartridge) shotgun. I would suggest taking your photos from the lock/hammer side in future. Also if you look at the bottom of the barrel at the breach end, Belgium uses an oval with the letters ELG for a proof mark. Britain uses a sort of cross or X with a crown over it

cheers mooncoon
 
My guess would be that it is a belgian pinfire (cartridge) shotgun. I would suggest taking your photos from the lock/hammer side in future. Also if you look at the bottom of the barrel at the breach end, Belgium uses an oval with the letters ELG for a proof mark. Britain uses a sort of cross or X with a crown over it

cheers mooncoon

Thanks Mooncoon,

I checked out the whole gun, and there are no markings save for a serial number on the hammer side, (0601-### if this helps) , and the numbers 59 behind the trigger guard.

I did some searching and found it is likely a winchester-hound pinfire 16 guage shotgun circa 1880's. Thoughts?

Brad
 
I couldn't find any reference to a winchester hound shotgun in either Flaydermann or on Google. Also 1880 is awfully late for new manufacture of pinfire shotguns in general. I would suspect that last of them were made by or before 1970. The lack of any proof marks suggests either american (but not winchester) or german manufacture. UK and Belgium both had proof marks well established during the 1800s and Winchester used an in house circle P on their guns.

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom