Two Model 1849 Colt Pocket revolvers.

drm3m

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Location
Montreal Quebec
I bought this revolver on April 13 1994.
It was manufactured in 1855-serial number 101792.

Supposedly the matching revolvers were serial numbered in seven different places, sometimes with the full serial numbers on certain components with partial serial numbers on other parts.

Here is the picture story of this '49 Colt.



















This is a cased London Model 1849 Colt manufactured in 1854--serial number 3222.



Serial number 3222 with London proof marks.

Proof Marks on London Colts.
They consisted of a crowned GP (Gunmakers’ Company Proof) and a crowned V (viewed)







London barrel address.




Both Colts together.




David
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the comments.

I got the cased London Colt '49 in April 2013 and I had not really taken it apart until today.
It is not a pristine piece but it came with some interesing history.
Serial numbered 3222---manufactured in 1854.
Based on what I found it is all matching.
This stuff may help others that are trying to understand the Colt markings on Model 1849 Colt Pocket revolvers.

The London '49 on it's case.




London barrel address.



Frame and barrel wedge serial numbers (222).



Cylinder pin serial number 3222.



Loading lever serial number (3222).



Butt strap serial number (3222).



David
 
Last edited:
rickruddell,

They can't talk.....I don't know where the Hartford Colt came from, but I do have some background history on the London Colt.






The label inside the case.



These documents came from a great grandson in England.





The Winter Family history that came with the London Colt.



William James Winter was the last member of the Winter Family to own the London Colt.

He was given the London Colt in 1992 by Norman W.V. Griffiths.
Norman Griffiths' father William Griffiths (son in law) was present when James Samuel Winter died according to the death certificate...that may explain the direction of where the London Colt went in the family after 1929.

This photo of William James Winter was taken in 2006---he died in 2008 at 89 years of age.
He was the author of the Winter Tale----family history.




David
 
Last edited:
H Wally,

The London Colt came with the 16 page Winter Family history.
Interesting reading.

I was lucky to find a relative in England that very kindly provided the two certificates shown above.

I found a relative in Antigua when I was looking for a photograph of James Samuel Winter.
No luck regarding photos in England , Antigua or Canada.

When you are doing this kind of research ....you really need to be lucky.

I have done this kind of research on two other guns that I own.
Both WWII vet bring backs...a 1937 dated S/42 Luger rig, and a M1911A1 Colt rig.

It takes time and patience....and you will hit the wall on occasion.....a total dead end.
I think that it is worth the effort if you have enough to work with.

David

Page one of the Forward in the 'Winter Tale' family history written in 2001 by the gentleman shown above with input from a family member in Antigua and England.



My previous research quests.

The Canadian vet that brought back the 1937 dated S/42 Luger rig.





The American vet (on the right) that brought back the M1911A1 Colt rig.



 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom