Two Of My New To me Antiques

The top one has a brass frame,stamped 36 behind the hammer on the brass.
Has the Colt address on top of barrel, but only US on left side of frame.
All matching numbers, that is all I have at this time.

The bottom one has a crack on one of the cylinders,new one in the mail.
decent rifling,nicer wood than 36cal model.

I am still researching them at this time.
 
Brass frame on the larger one, iron on the smaller one.
I'd like to just shoot cap and powder, no ball. What can
I use to hold the powder in place?
 
More info on these two guns, dates.

The top one was made in 1856.
The bottom one made in 1850.
This according to Colt site on
Serial numbers.
 
At the gun smith today, how do I determine what size nipples I have
on my guns, Number 11 seemed to long,we didn't have 10 or 9 on hand.
 
Hi again, I have been looking now all week, but all I can
find are #11 and #9 nipples for both my revolvers.
According to Colt, both guns take # 10 nipples.
Any one know where I can find reproductions of the
original #10 nipples, once I have these, I can shoot my
guns.
Thanks
 
why not use whatever nipples fit the gun in length and thread and if the #11 caps are loose, just pinch them a bit so that they stick on the nipple. My experience has been that the length of the nipple is the crucial factor; too long and the cylinder will not rotate. I have a repro cylinder for a Colt Navy and it does not fit my original Colt Navy. Difference in diameter of the cylinder pin if my memory is correct

cheers mooncoon
 
Sorry for the delay in answering, we tried # 11 nipples,diameter wise they
were fine, but they were to long to seat against the nipples.
I have ordered originals from the USA.

1/4 inch leather, I have lots of leather laying around. Thanks,I'll try that.
 
Back
Top Bottom