Typical flintlock rifle in Upper Canada 1775-1800?

Canuck Bob

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thinking of bringing in a kit from the States. What rifles would have been available during this era. Hoping a reasonable look alike domestic or English style could be cobbled together from a kit.

I'm thinking a .45 stalking rifle based on a Chambers Isaac Haines.

https://www.flintlocks.com/rifles02.htm

Would the following work; walnut stock, no cheekpiece, no patchbox, fowler style simple trigger guard?

This does beg one question. Would it be likely a Pennsylvania rifle could have ended up in the colony in its longrifle form?
 
All the firearms of that era were flintlocks and likely the most common were English Brown Bess musket, French Charleville musket and NW Trade Gun as sold/traded by the Hudson Bay Co. These were smoothbores but you could build a Trade gun with a rifled barrel if desired from a kit. Colerain makes the barrels to interchange with the smoothbore version as available from Track of the Wolf. As for rifles, there were many Loyalists and Americans living in Upper Canada after the American Revolution and undoubtedly they would have brought rifles and smoothbores with them from the 13 colonies. Your choice of an Isaac Haines or other Lancaster - style longrifle would likely fit your plan too. In that era a 45 cal was a small bore with more rifles being 50 cal or bigger, I believe.
 
Rifles in Canada were basically unheard of, you’d have seen the odd English sporting rifle in flintlock here. Mostly military officer owned. The rest your looking at muskets both English and French, french and English trade guns, and Fowler’s. It’s not until the percussion era that we start seeing rifles in any numbers. There was a combination of English as well northern US and Ontario made rifles. There were a number of excellent gunmakers in Ontario. Most of the ones built in Ontario, are nearly impossible to tell apart from one in New York. There was also one pistol maker I’m aware of, in the early settlement of Halifax.
 
Ol' Flinter you nailed it with the Loyalist angle. It is Bob from Calgary. As you know I had my heart set on a English Trade Gun but health restrictions have changed that. A one stop kit of the Chambers LH version Haines meets my needs best I think. They have a Haines Lite in a Rice B weight .45 option.

I will revisit the Track site per your advice. I assumed that the trade gun options wouldn't have O to R barrels of light weight profiles. A 20 or 24 gauge barrel profile with a .45 rifled bore would be too heavy I think.
 
Back
Top Bottom