Uberti + Black Powder.

Stormwind

Member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Uberti makes some excellent reproduction 19th century guns. I'm getting my RPAL soon and I'm looking to get an Uberti made Remington 1975 revolver.

Now the demonstration videos it makes it obious they're using smokeless powder. Though I'm abit of a purist, These originally were made in an era using blackpowder. So is it ok to use .45 Long Colt rounds in Blackpowder in Uberti made reproductions?
 
Don't see a problem with it...as long as you have the time and patience to do a very thorough cleaning job to remove the residue. Black powder can be corrosive
 
Black powder is the way to go but be aware that you aren't going to find any on the shelf at the local gunshop or at Basspro.

It is really easy to handload with black. Use a full case of powder and it isn't physically possible to overload. Get the softest lead bullets that you can find.
 
Like this?

h6o5T.jpg


This is a round ball load and my favourite. Also shoot slugs but these go together fast. Lots of smoke & flame. :)

(Uberti Cattleman)
 
It's a given, you do blackpowder, you also do cleaning. I fire corrosive rounds out of my milsurps. I always clean once I'm finished. All I wanted to know was that the revolver wouldn't explode in my hand if I loaded it with blackpowder. Thanks for the advice though
 
When you shoot bullets (as opposed to RB) make sure you use a soft LUBE as well (SPG for instance - or build your own). Hardcast are actually not bad IF you use a proper lube. Hardcast don't "bump up" as well so if your accuracy isn't great try slightly larger sizing.

Beretta has a chart somewhere online that shows the bore & groove diameter for UBERTI revolvers (If I understand it correctly Beretta owns Uberti now? Open to correction)

(remember too NO AIR SPACE in case you aren't familiar with BP...read up on it carefully first)
 
I have a Uberti 1873 SAA which is similar to the Remington 1875 and have loaded .45 Colt with black powder. I use a hard lead alloy made with lead and tin as the gun is designed for copper jacketed factory ammo. If you clean the gun after every session the black powder is no problem but it is messy so now I shoot smokeless in this gun, I have lots of other guns that will only shoot black powder including a Uberti 1873 SAA cap and ball that requires a loading stand.

RangeApril162011Revolvingcarbine009.jpg
 
I am using 24 grains of Goex FFFG and RB but it isn't very accurate... next time out I am going to reduce the load to 18 grains and see if that helps. The gun has very deep rifling in the barrel..way deeper than any of my other cap and ball guns so I was hoping for outstanding accuracy but it wasn't to be..
I have had my 1847 Walker out a few times and it is very accurate with about 50 grains (full chamber) using the same size ball as the SAA so I don't know if too much powder is the problem.
 
Yes tough call. I've read great accounts of accuracy but so far my experience with it hasn't borne that out. My "groups" "tightened up" to a point where they are at least all on the paper, nowhere near what it does with a bullet. Still fun though, seems to be good enough for close steel.

One thing I will try if I can't find a good load with my current setup, is moving up to a .457" ball.

Only so much time...
 
My Uberti '75 Remington shoots like a lazer with BP. The only issue I have had with it in regard to BP is that the fouling can gum it up some. Use a good BP lube, and lots of it. Cleaning is super easy. Water is the solvent. I use moose milk which is 1 part Ballistol, and 7 to 10 parts water.
 
Soft lead isn't the best in the 1875 Uberti Remington. The cylinder gap, cylinder Dia. and alignment with the barrel are not perfect and the soft lead bullets seem to leave a lot more of them selves behind than the harder ones do.
 
Back
Top Bottom