My father wants to buy a replica high wall rifle in 38-55 and is deciding between the Uberti and the Pedersoli offerings, with a strong leaning towards the Pedersoli, since I've not found a Uberti in stock anywhere (and Marstar has the Pedersoli)
He'll be shooting from the bench, cast bullet smokeless reloads on the lighter side (he's getting on in years and can't take much recoil, which is one reason why he doesn't want a 45-70 despite my saying that I can load it down for him).
I've heard that these rifles have an abnormally large groove diameter, which means that my Lyman mould for my .375 Winchester likely won't be large enough, nor do I see listings for H&I dies in .380/.381/.382 in the catalogues from Lyman/RCBS.
Can anyone enlighten me as to which makers rifle is of better quality, or better suited to my purpose?
Which bullet do you casters use, and where do you source bullet sizers from?
I do have an OLD plain based 38-55 mould that I've never used. It is a Winchester tong affair with the blocks integral to the handles. I don't know what size bullet it will drop.
He'll be shooting from the bench, cast bullet smokeless reloads on the lighter side (he's getting on in years and can't take much recoil, which is one reason why he doesn't want a 45-70 despite my saying that I can load it down for him).
I've heard that these rifles have an abnormally large groove diameter, which means that my Lyman mould for my .375 Winchester likely won't be large enough, nor do I see listings for H&I dies in .380/.381/.382 in the catalogues from Lyman/RCBS.
Can anyone enlighten me as to which makers rifle is of better quality, or better suited to my purpose?
Which bullet do you casters use, and where do you source bullet sizers from?
I do have an OLD plain based 38-55 mould that I've never used. It is a Winchester tong affair with the blocks integral to the handles. I don't know what size bullet it will drop.


















































