Uh Oh

tiriaq

Super Moderator
Moderating Team
Rating - 100%
252   0   0
Working on the remains of a really rough ml shotgun. Stock in many pieces, under rib off, tang broken. Wanted to pull the plug so that I could repair it by welding, and so that I could get at the bore to see if it could be polished or reamed.
Clamped the barrel flats in the padded jaws of a very heavy 6" vise, and clamped a wrench on the breechplug flats. Wrench is two 1" square bars, clamped together with 1/2" socket head screws, one bar turned for a pipe handle. I use the same wrench on flat sided receivers.
Applied pressure, wrench turned, so did the breech plug tang. But the breechplug didn't. Twisted it right off.
So, I found a piece of steel tube that would slide over the octagon flats of the barrel, and slit it so that the lathe jaws would clamp the bushing down on the barrel. This pretty much centered the barrel, without having to resort to a 4-jaw chuck. Drilled a 1/2" hole through the stump of the plug, then bored out the remains until the roots of the threads were almost exposed. Used a little cold chisel and picks to remove the remains of the breechplug threads, leaving the barrel threads intact. The threads are not a current standard size, of course, so the lathe can be used to make a new plug to fit.
But the bore is really bad, beyond polishing. Would be necessary to ream and sleeve it to salvage the barrel as a shooter. Don't know if I will, the rest of the gun is pretty rough, although with the addition of a mainspring, the lock will snap.
 
You appear to have a lot of time on your hands, or this is a very special shotgun?

I'm retired. Time isn't an issue. Always learning. The more practice I get on clunkers, the more confident I am when working on a good gun.

Would the pitted bore affect the shot pattern that badly to not make it a shooter? Or is cleaning it after shooting the concern?

Ive shot some pretty nasty shotgun bores, the shot still made holes in rabbits.

More an issue of safety.

I had applied a penetrating oil a couple of times for a couple of days before attempting removal. If I had welded an extension on the broken tang before attempting removal, the plug would likely have unscrewed, from the welding heat.

I have a rather decent quality ml single. Thought it would be a shooter based on external appearance. The bore was bad. 12ga, reamed it to .750", there were still serious pits, so I installed a seamless aircraft grade 4130 CrMo liner. Machined the breech end of the liner to match the face of the patent breech plug. It is now a good shooter, with a very smooth shiny bore.
 
Sometimes I find myself wondering if I want to learn that much on one gun :>) :>)

cheers mooncoon

I know what you're saying, but Tiriaq is right in one way: better to practise on a low-value piece than a high value one. Learning the craft is often about determining what doesn't work - and those lessons can be painful if the gun is valuable.
 
Back
Top Bottom