underlever damascus

7mmBRmostly

Regular
Rating - 100%
455   0   1
Location
Nova Scotia
Wm Moore &Co. 12ga
IMG_6554_zpsj8cvue6b.jpg

IMG_6557_zpsyacyoh0m.jpg

IMG_6555_zpsgpfcxbn7.jpg

IMG_6556_zpsjan8nq2o.jpg

IMG_6561_zpsrjs72fiq.jpg

IMG_6560_zps7upfdxga.jpg

IMG_6559_zpsjez7u6mw.jpg

IMG_6558_zpscbnwktmx.jpg
 
pretty sure I see the Belgian ELG in oval, also another turd shaped squiggle, will get around to knocking out the pin and cleaning 'er up under there but might not be right away. From a quick google I guess she's pretty old. Thinking the brass buttplate might be later as the craftsmanship doesn't seem to me to be on par with the rest of the piece, despite a small triangular wrap around onto heel like a pre-'64 Win 70
 
The barrels should be removable by hand. Swing the lever to open the gun, then swing the smaller lever at the front of the action. Barrels should come right out.
 
Question-- with this Le Faucheux system, is the opening lever supposed to go back to center or closed position on its own when the barrels are closed or does it only go so far and then have to be pushed tight by hand?
 
Last edited:
Thanks guys. I have a pinfire that works the same way but I wasn't sure if there was anything wrong or not. I know there is no spring of any kind so I didn't see how it could go all the way by itself. Thanks for clarifying.
 
I don't think that I have seen any underlevers with return springs on the levers. All that I have seen, the levers were manually operated only. I also would be surprised if the gun was belgian as Birmingham proofed Wm Moore s are not that uncommon. If your gun is or was choke bored, I would suspect it of being made after roughly 1875, but yours I would suspect of being made in the 1870s. The proofs on the bottom of the barrel will tell us more

cheers mooncoon
 
I don't think that I have seen any underlevers with return springs on the levers. All that I have seen, the levers were manually operated only. I also would be surprised if the gun was belgian as Birmingham proofed Wm Moore s are not that uncommon. If your gun is or was choke bored, I would suspect it of being made after roughly 1875, but yours I would suspect of being made in the 1870s. The proofs on the bottom of the barrel will tell us more

cheers mooncoon

Kind of funny, my impression is that it is Belgian, lol. But yes, the proof marks will tell us.
 
The proofs on the bbl are Belgian.

There's sort of a cursive EL I have a reference to as "Since 1852, Belgium, Provisional black powder proof for breech loading gun"
There's the vertical oval containing E over LG over *, but not topped with the crown. Couple other markings may be difficult to capture.

I will get around to proper zoom photos but for now all the metal (except the locks which I left in the wood at least for now) is soaking in my favourite goop.

There is some damage to the rear of the front half of the rear bbl lug and/or a little piece that screws onto that half...
Thanks for your interest!
 
Back
Top Bottom