- Location
- Aylmer, QC
Hey guys,
I need help in identifying the calibers of the following three antique cartridges, two of which are rimfire copper cartridges and one of which is a centerfire shotgun shell. The "US" headstamp obviously indicates manufacture by the United States Cartridge Company.
I've determined this to be a .44 Long Ballard cartridge.
-Rim diameter: 0.512 inches (13.02mm)
-Rim thickness: 0.067 inches (1.70mm)
-Case diameter: 0.439 inches (11.16mm)
-Case length: 1.122 inches (28.50mm)
-Cartridge length: 1.673 inches (42.51mm)


I've determined this to be a .56-52 Spencer cartridge.
-Rim diameter: 0.641 inches (16.30mm)
-Rim thickness: 0.072 inches (1.83mm)
-Case diameter: 0.560 inches (14.22mm)
-Case length: 1.112 inches (28.25mm)
-Cartridge length: 1.562 inches (39.67mm)


I've determined this to be a .577 Snider blank cartridge.
-Rim diameter: 0.746 inches (18.95mm)
-Rim thickness: 0.051 inches (1.29mm)
-Case diameter: 0.577 inches (14.66mm)
-Cartridge length: 1.711 inches (43.47mm)


Thanks, guys.
I need help in identifying the calibers of the following three antique cartridges, two of which are rimfire copper cartridges and one of which is a centerfire shotgun shell. The "US" headstamp obviously indicates manufacture by the United States Cartridge Company.
I've determined this to be a .44 Long Ballard cartridge.
-Rim diameter: 0.512 inches (13.02mm)
-Rim thickness: 0.067 inches (1.70mm)
-Case diameter: 0.439 inches (11.16mm)
-Case length: 1.122 inches (28.50mm)
-Cartridge length: 1.673 inches (42.51mm)


I've determined this to be a .56-52 Spencer cartridge.
-Rim diameter: 0.641 inches (16.30mm)
-Rim thickness: 0.072 inches (1.83mm)
-Case diameter: 0.560 inches (14.22mm)
-Case length: 1.112 inches (28.25mm)
-Cartridge length: 1.562 inches (39.67mm)


I've determined this to be a .577 Snider blank cartridge.
-Rim diameter: 0.746 inches (18.95mm)
-Rim thickness: 0.051 inches (1.29mm)
-Case diameter: 0.577 inches (14.66mm)
-Cartridge length: 1.711 inches (43.47mm)


Thanks, guys.
Last edited:


















































