Unknown guns

jetrefueller

Regular
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Location
Northern Ontario
Hi Guys can anyone identify these guns.
001.jpg


They have the name Alex Svoboda inscribed on top of the frame and a star with a half moon under it stamped in the frames. They are 8mm nine shot.
 
Last edited:
Sorry I dont know what they are, I just had to comment on how interesting they were with the cannonesque barrels and what I presume is maybe gold plating.

Nice set:)
 
Wish it were Gold plating. My neighbour wants to sell them to me but when he sent them to the cops about 15 to 18 years ago they filed down the firing pins to about an quarter of an inch long, not long enough to hit the primers. I dont know what happened to the pics they usually last longer.
 
Mr Jetrefueler,
If the price is right, Id say buy em !!
the barrels remind me of reichs revolvers I have seen.

You could fix the firing pins buy adding some weld and then filing em into proper shape or drilling a hole into the present pin stubbs adding a pin and then "pardon the reuse of the word" pinning the new firing pin surface into place.

They are rather interesting "except the plastic grips which can be replaced with wood or horn"
restoring them into proper condition would really go a long way to righting the great wrong done 18 years ago when the bloody firing pins were filed!

You could always buy em both and sell one to make some cash back.;)
 
Thanks for the advice Musket I will pick them up tomorrow and see what I can do with the firing pins. I couldn't believe my eyes when I seen what they done to a couple of nice antiques.
 
Yes Musketfire very reichs revolver looking. Shorter barrel. 8mm is a good German Indicator clue thing also. The name sounds Polish... could be? Germany and Poland fed off each other prior to the 1900's. obviously Black powder. At that time there were many family run Village or district Gun Makers. Much like we have Gunsmiths. Some would buy parts like cylinders or triggers or ect from the big gunhouses and sort of slap them together. Is there any proofs on the gun?? Should be..
 
Thanks guys I'm just on my way to purchase them now, I'll post more pics later and check for the proof marks. The only thing that made me hesitate was the fact I didn't know when they were made for sure and with what might be a four inch barrel they would be prohibs if made later than 1898. The guy said he had a letter from the RCMP if he can find it I'll be happier.
 
I have repaired a few firing pins with ardox nails and silver sodder.
? you mean tin SOLDER?.
id not suggest this, at all..
take the gun to a gunsmith and have the hammers slotted and then have him machine new pins. if it is as much steel ground off as you say there will be little left of the pins.. and he'll have to make new ones and pin them in .
welding is a second option. dont know the gunsmithing prices here so maybe that is the better choice..

grips look original and id not try to replae them they look to be correct to the gun..
this gun is rather interesting.
it is not polish, at this time poland was part of russia.. and never made such arms and only illegal revolver production was undertaken..

the script is latin on the grips and says trade mark. ... it is not in cyrillic, so this rules out romanian and bulgarian production..
as they used the cyrillic script at the time, where as now all mix both latin and cyrillic..
serbian an be as at the time they used cyrillic and also minorities used latin script.. as is now the same..

but .these are not german guns although the name svoboda can show up in germany ,

guns are interesting, id wager they are more than 6 shots in those cylinders.

i would say they are made in either the austrian empire in the area of the czech republic or austrian balkans or in serbia..
the cresent moon botheres me though.. i cant imagine any serb or croat putting this on a gun..
and these guns are factory made... maybe a commerical product from the moslem parts of the austrian empire........
 
My guess is there German made or Belgian im thinking German tho.
the guys Name Svoboda could meen nothing he coulda been the guy that bought the guns not the maker and had his name inscribed or the retailer.

Also German made guns all kinda guns made all over Europe were sent to Belgium to be Proofed as it was the best proof mark to have on a gun back then in europe.
Ive had German and french made guns with Belgian proof marks.

Its hard to say without better pics of the proof marks tho.
 
Hey Musketfire it turns out it actually is gold plating so they might have been a presentation set. They have very small two number serial #s and have some proof marks on theback of the cylinders. I was thinking they might be Turkish as one of the symbols
on the frame is a five pointed star on top of a half moon. I have to find my trusty magnifying glass to read the proof marks though. My photography is lousy as dingus can tell you so I will try and draw the marks.
 
OK There Spanish Guns not German.
the Star over the moon is was the Trade mark of Fransisco arizmendi of eibar.

I found a Star over a Half moon in my Spanish proof mark book and a freind from the South figgered out the rest.

There Constabulary revolvers police and postal service used them in Spain and alot were sent to Russia.
The Russians called them Zashchitnik (no clue what that meens)

Theses are fancyer than most and id guess a presentation set.

Still want more pics or Drawings tho Jet! ;) But looks like there well made spanish guns.
 
I'd say that those grips are original, and that they are made of hard rubber. Most of these youngsters today have never seen anything but plastic so they really aren't up on the things us old buzzards used to take for granted.
Moosegetter
 
Back
Top Bottom