Unmolested Snider value?

Doug

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
947   0   0
Location
Kingston Ont
A friend of mine is in poor health and has asked me to sell his firearms. Most are modern firearms, and I feel comfortable with pricing them, but one is a Snider.

I have not seen it, don't know if it is a three band or two band, no idea about markings, etc etc, all of which I know affect value. If it is a decent rifle with no alterations, what kind of ballpark figure might it fetch? He does not have a bayonet but I am going to assume he does have the cleaning rod, etc.

Any advice?

Doug
 
Not only the mark effects the value, but the difference between the three-groove three-band and the five-groove short rifle can be substantial. Is it Canadian, and if so, is it pre-or post confederation?

The breech-block latch can differ - later marks having a proper latch - not just a detent in the breech, and later versions are made of steel, rather than the earlier iron. They were made, not only by the Enfield Arsenal, but by a number of private contractors. Many were made for private purchase/Volunteer units and can be very well fitted up with full checkering and better quality woodwork that the issue item.

Condition, in any case, is vital - the better condition, the more it might be worth.

There are real experts on here, and I'm obviously not one of them, just an owner of two beautiful Canadian Sniders.

tac
 
Thanks for that.

As I mentioned, I have not seen the piece. Any idea of a ballpark number for a plain Jane unmolested Snider?

Doug
 
Thanks folks.

I also spoke this weekend, at the Perth Show, with "Enfield Bob" who is a fount of knowledge on Canadian military firearms.

Doug
 
Back
Top Bottom