(Updates) Winter Project ("Rat Rod") Medium Frame Hopkins & Allen FB to .32 S&W

NorthCoastBigBore

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
(Updates) Winter Project ("Rat Rod") Medium Frame Hopkins & Allen FB to .32 S&W

Built from an assortment of orphaned and broken parts....

Last year I picked up a medium frame H&A falling block action. It was originally a "44 XL" aka a "Taxidermist" or "Lady's Shotgun" depending on the catalogue. The barrel wasn't there, but from the size of the extractor and the marking on the breech block face from the old cartridges, it appears to have been in .44 shot.

Although these are a true falling block design, unfortunately (from what I've read anyway) these are soft actions so breech thrust should still be kept low. With that in mind I had a piece of .308" barrel blank (~1:10 twist, a little fast but...) someone else had started to profile. I'd practiced some tapering on it, decided it should have a home. I chambered it in .32 S&W, thought about .32 Colt but I'd have to make the reamer and although I make .32 LC brass, it's an extra step. So I went with S&W. For anyone wondering... .308 is fine for .32 S&W as a matter of fact even my Favorite in .32 Colt (originally .32 RF) has a .305" bore.

Stock is orphaned from an ~1880's vintage double Belgian shotgun, it was busted up by the tang so nobody need get too upset about that, what else was it going to do? Sit on the bench until one of my kids threw it in the firewood pile? Naw, time to use it - if this thing shoots OK then I'll look at getting a proper stock on it. Forend will likely end up being modified from a broken Winchester 1894 forend I have laying around.

I turned the chamber end to fit the receiver (these are slip in not threaded) and cut a dovetail for the front forend hanger and the one for the front sight...

I had to make my own sights, I milled the front sight (still rough since I need to finish the rear sight yet) and I have the rear sight base roughly completed, have yet to mount it. Working on the staff.

I've had about 25 rounds through it (light loads and lead bullets). First groups (aiming without sights) show some promise, about 2" at 25 yards.

With that in mind, here's the chronology:

Stock cut back from the break & fitted:
H1W8gay.jpg

Freshly chambered:
sRIRiwS.jpg

Shaping the new extractor (original one was for a MUCH larger rim) - using QT400 steel that ended up getting polished, quenched & tempered (after fitting):
F64vVyp.jpg

Fitting the extractor:
6fwBXaH.jpg

Extractor completed, compared to the old one:
26ApGtB.jpg

Locating the barrel "lock" hole (after cutting the dovetail for the forearm hanger... making sure everything was lined up was a bit of a hail Mary but I got it):
FCTV9Ks.jpg

Cutting dovetail for the front sight:
Uj7nxZu.jpg

Making the front sight from a block of steel.... next time I think I'll make a much smaller base and use flat thin stock for a front blade, just to save on time & material:
23WkwiU.jpg

Front sight blank on the barrel (clearly way too high, it's been shortened since):
2XYfeWK.jpg

First Function Test!!!:
UPszj86.jpg

Now, onto the rear sight - I had already made some bases up:
sEUxtvu.jpg

Rear Sight Base contouring:
uzOrW1V.jpg

I'd made this base originally to replace a factory one on my Pedersoli Sharps but decided to use it here, but this is compared to the factory Pedersoli one:
https://i.imgur.com/9o2fQuO.jpg[/img
Starting on the staff:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/G5nHLBz.jpg
OMeiKuA.jpg

This is as far as I got, but I have no doubt I can shrink these groups down once the sights are on it - fast twist notwithstanding :):

D5C1SkX.jpg


Hope someone finds it interesting!
 
Last edited:
Thanks folks; I'll post the progress as its made. Hopefully, I'll get the rear sight done this week and maybe (if I'm real good) I'll even get a forend on it.

Looking forward to working up a load for this, way more bullet selection than for the .32 Colt (heeled).

...and not a Brownell's catalog in sight.

I love it.

Ha ha well I can't say I haven't given Brownell's a lot of my money over the years, but I've tried to keep this one on the cheap in that "rat rod" sort of spirit.
 
I got the rear sight built; Yes, I still have to do some prettying up, work off the sharp edges and some polishing. But it's ready to try out. I will brown this I think not rust blue it (one less step) just because I don't think the look will warrant that. I'll probably rust brown the receiver and barrel at the same time. I'll try and get this thing on the range tomorrow or at least Saturday and see what it can do:

This started out as a bunch of QT400 flat stock & some O1 drill rod - other than the elevation & windage adjustment screws, everything is made by myself in what little spare time I have (mostly late evening and weekend mornings before the kids get going):

The base, roughed out with a couple other blanks (I originally made this particular base as a replacement for my Pedersoli Sharps base but that didn't offer any advantages over the factory one so I put it to use on this H&A):
lKF3tVa.jpg

Setting up the rotary table for the shaping:
VDdwAPs.jpg

Base set up against a factory Pedersoli base (again that was just the original intent for THIS base):
9o2fQuO.jpg

Starting on the staff:
aI5olwJ.jpg

Starting to take shape:
UGRiThW.jpg

Elevation is finished on this one, working on the windage:
mRXnhWL.jpg

Making the diopter, threaded, front drilled out (for light) and parted off, just need the eyecup faced and drilled:
ZV7eIc7.jpg

And this was late last night, mounted on the ole' frankengun:
cVc5WfK.jpg
 
Another update. Had it out put it through it's paces today with 25 rounds - and the new tang sight; this was a consistent load of 2.0 grains of Trail Boss - Representative 25 yard group, they were all consistent which means there is room for improvement. I'll throttle it down and see what happens, past experience with the .32 Colt shows greater promise in the 1.5-1.7 grain range. The cases are very similar.

3Hjbphx.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom