US Ammo?

smoffatt34920

New member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
Ontario
I have a friend from the states who gets ammo so much cheaper than we do here, it's a shame! I just wanted to know if it's legal to get ammo from our southern neighbours and bring it up? Is there a tax on it? And is there a limit on how much you can bring? Anyone know this?

I know I could look it up n the government of Canada website, but it's way too legal and I want the simple answer. Thanks!
 
A more complicated answer is you can import from the States provided the ammunition is on the List of Authorized Explosives (see sticky in this forum) and the quantity is 5,000 rounds or less.

However you can NOT EXPORT from the United States without a US approved export permit. If you get caught by the random DHS checkpoints they set up just before the border to catch this kind of thing, you get sent to a US prison. Decide if it's worth a few bucks in savings.

I'd rather pay a bit more and not go to prison.
 
Well perhaps someone can answer this then... My neighbour, who I go shooting with regilarily, just told me that he has bought ammo in the states before and brought it across, he also said that he got stopped at the border, and they simply checked that it was bought legally and less than 5000 rnds, and let him go.

Fun side note: he said he bought the ammo from a Dunham's sports store, and they didn't ID him at all. Not only no gun license, but no proof of age. Which is odd since he's 21.
 
You should delete that post at once. Understand that this has NOTHING to do with Canadian border controls but everything to do with US export laws. What you do not know can hurt you.
 
But it would have been on the US side of the border that he got stopped... You would think their border guards would know the laws on this stuff...

As a side note, this is just for my curiosity's sake... I have no intention of trying to sneak things across the border or anything.
 
go ahead illeaglly export all you want from the usa

IF/when you get caught you could spend years in jail loose your car get fined huge $$$

be banned forever from the usa and added to the no fly list
 
But it would have been on the US side of the border that he got stopped... You would think their border guards would know the laws on this stuff...

As a side note, this is just for my curiosity's sake... I have no intention of trying to sneak things across the border or anything.

When coming back you don't get stopped on the US side most of the time, and the 5000 round rule is a Canadian one. I doubt he was stopped on the US side.

The US side only stops at road blocks, at random stops, and specifically ask if you have guns or ammo. I haven't found out what answering yes would entail, but I don't plan on it.

The way I understand it it is illegal for a Canadian to even possess ammo in the US, unless you have a valid hunting license for a US state. This is easy enough to get, but even then you are only allowed to be in possession, and not export.
 
But it would have been on the US side of the border that he got stopped... You would think their border guards would know the laws on this stuff...

As a side note, this is just for my curiosity's sake... I have no intention of trying to sneak things across the border or anything.

Its not CBSA's business to take care of things being exported form the US, they take care of things being imported into Canada. As long as you meet the Canadian laws, your good in their eyes. But if the US guards catch you, you better like sleeping in a cold cold cell, while your truck and everything you have in confiscated.
 
Without proper permits you can't bring back any ammo or reloading components.

There's some odd exemption on shotgun hulls or wads (I can't remember exactly) but everything else requires paperwork

Google ITAR Munitions List.




while we are on this topic, what is the rule on bringing powder and lead shot etc back? Is there a link to the u.s. rules if this is also restricked?
 
Back
Top Bottom