Using Hodgdon Triple 7 FFFG?

Skinny 1950

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Location
Vancouver
Once again I was unable to find any "real black powder" and in order to keep shooting my cap and ball revolvers I bought a substitute. The powder that I got is Hodgdon Triple 7 FFFG. The recommended load for .36 cal is 15 grains does anyone know if this is 15 grains as measured by the spout on my flask or 15 grains by weight??? Any other tips for using this powder would be useful as well...Thanks
 
carfull not to compress the powder too much as tripple 7 should not be compressed it is a bad choice for cap and ball pistols as pyrodex is a better choice but is corrosive .
 
carfull not to compress the powder too much as tripple 7 should not be compressed it is a bad choice for cap and ball pistols as pyrodex is a better choice but is corrosive .

?????...I use 777 3f in my muzzleloading rifle. It is certainly compressed under the projectile.

777 is corrosive just like Pyrodex or BP.

Remember, loose 777 loads should be REDUCED by 15%, to give you the equivalent BP load.


OP...BP or substitutes are ALWAYS measured by VOLUME...not weight.
 
?????...I use 777 3f in my muzzleloading rifle. It is certainly compressed under the projectile.

777 is corrosive just like Pyrodex or BP.

Remember, loose 777 loads should be REDUCED by 15%, to give you the equivalent BP load.


OP...BP or substitutes are ALWAYS measured by VOLUME...not weight.

If you go to the Hodgdon web sight it states not to compress the powder in cartridges more than slightly because dangerous pressure spikes can occur the same would be true for a bp cap and ball revolver they also state that pyrodex is corrosive not 777
also BP residue is not corrosive it's hygroscopic meaning it absorbs moisture .
 
carfull not to compress the powder too much as tripple 7 should not be compressed it is a bad choice for cap and ball pistols as pyrodex is a better choice but is corrosive .

I just purchased a ruger old army and some triple 7, FFF.

My research showed that the ROA gets a lot of use in the states for both hunting and target use.
And the triple 7 to be a popular choice for powder.

Where do you get your info from?
 
From the Hodgdon web site and From an article in Guns of the old west .
I never said You can't use it I just think its Hard to control the compression on the powder when seating a ball with the loading lever and 777 should not be heavily compressed .I tried it in my 1858 rem 44 cap and ball before I new and it didn't blow up but I got flame cutting on the cylinder pin witch concerned me and I never used it in a cap and ball again .
 
Measuring the BP substitutes ( as I understand) is always the VOLUME EQUIVALENT of Black Powder - So you use the VOLUME measure, NOT the same WEIGHT (of 777).
 
Back
Top Bottom