Using Triple Seven FFFG

Skinny 1950

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Location
Vancouver
I bought some Triple Seven FFFG powder for use in my .36 cal. cap and ball revolver. The recommended load is 15 grains (volume) which leaves a lot of room in the chamber (over half an inch) and they warn against using filler ie cornmeal etc. The Hodgdon site recommends card or polyethelene wads to make up the space.
I like to have the ball flush with end of the cylinder so that I don't have to use as much lard to prevent chainfires. A wad that is .531 inches thick is what it would take to fill the cylinder... is this even practical ????
Any tips from Triple Seven users would be helpful.
 
Honestly, I'm no expert but I don't understand underloading a gun just because I'm using 777. I know they say to drop the charge 15%, but I've never seen anything close to an issue with it - I'm talking modern repros with modern steels, of course, not real antiques. But I don't use fillers - I do a decent fill of the chamber and enjoy the increased velocity and decreased fouling that 777 brings. :)

By the way, I'm convinced chainfires come from the other side, amigo, and that your over-ball grease just helps keep your bore easy to clean. Which isn't really an issue with 777 . . .
 
Honestly, I'm no expert but I don't understand underloading a gun just because I'm using 777. I know they say to drop the charge 15%, but I've never seen anything close to an issue with it - I'm talking modern repros with modern steels, of course, not real antiques. But I don't use fillers - I do a decent fill of the chamber and enjoy the increased velocity and decreased fouling that 777 brings. :)

By the way, I'm convinced chainfires come from the other side, amigo, and that your over-ball grease just helps keep your bore easy to clean. Which isn't really an issue with 777 . . .

Well you may be convinced but I'm not because I've had a chain fire and the only time it happened was the one time I forgot to put lard over the balls once seated was not a nice experiance.
 
I also use triple seven and love it. I do use a compressed paper wad between my powder and ball to help prevent chain fires. I do use a bore lube sometimes but recently have been using liquid alox with much success.
 
So a nice thick fairly hard wad should do it to get the ball flush with the face of the cylinder, a bit of goo to seal it up and set to shoot .....OK I will try it on Sunday ..thanks I feel better now.:cheers:
 
I have been useing american pioneer Gold,777F , it has the same consistency as goex black powder, I wrote them and here is their reply

,Load it volume to Volume the same as recommended for black powder. Thanks Wendell,

this sounds very interesting
so what yer basicly saying is that i should load it the same as i would wth goex powder fg,or swiss powder 1 1/2fg?
should it I compress it at all ???
is the burn rate aproxamatly the same ??

yep ya got it. on most 1/16 to 1/8" lil more in big cart. my 45-70 i run about a 1/4" . something to play with see what works best. Thanks Wendell
 
Back
Top Bottom