USPS Sends Antique gun to US Customs not Canada

There are some real jerks here on the EE re-selling antique guns they bought in the US which weren't what they expected, some guys have them fixed up by gunsmiths, others are very vague in their description.
 
There are some real jerks here on the EE re-selling antique guns they bought in the US which weren't what they expected, some guys have them fixed up by gunsmiths, others are very vague in their description.

LOL truth be told this is about the best place to purchase antiques. It is super rare to see anything misrepresented and most sellers are guys who have been on CGN for a long time and are not going to risk thier reputation for a couple bucks.

The guns I recgonize as being resold from US auctions/dealers are marked up so little as to really not make it worth while importing one yourself. Most guys are like any other junky selling to support thier habit/get new toys. For the most part the descriptions I read of the guns being resold are 100% more detailed and honest then the descriptions I read on the original auction/dealer's website.

I have bought some 'fixed up' guns and man oh man was I ever lucky to get them. Proper and proffessional gunsmithing does little to devalue a collectible and does alot to improve a shooter.

That being said I have seen a couple dogs with abit too much sale in the pitch but the pictures told the story very clearly.

I am all for guys taking the time and TROUBLE and financial risk of importing antiques and marking the guns up 10-30 percent (even 50 is fine) and then making it easy and painless for me to buy it. I'd rather pay 1200 for an 1892 ordanance revolver in Canada then 900 for it from an unknown seller in Oklahoma! It only takes one burn in 10 to put a serious hole in the toy money account.
 
There are some real jerks here on the EE re-selling antique guns they bought in the US which weren't what they expected, some guys have them fixed up by gunsmiths, others are very vague in their description.


i do that.

I buy them hopping there in better shape then the ones I have in my personal collection and if there not I put them forsale on the EE (witch most of them i sell are close to 85-95%) (i keep them if they 95-100%)

-or buy them broken and have them fixed. Then shoot them a little then sell them off to buy more. or when i get one that is better shape. (at that point i maybe make 10-15%) on them.


I fine 70% of the time when you buy a gun from the USA. There in no where near the shape they mark them to be… and when I get them in “piss poor shape that I would not trust to shoot.” (Close to 1/2 of them I buy) I sell them to a local antique gun dealer witch sells them off at gun shows. Seeing I don’t want to risk my reputation and have one blow up on someone “again”
 
There are some real jerks here on the EE re-selling antique guns they bought in the US which weren't what they expected, some guys have them fixed up by gunsmiths, others are very vague in their description.

Some of us enjoy the resto work and making an old iron function again too.
I like to repair what's broken,shoot them a bit then pass them along.
Once they are shooting the novelty kind of wears off for me.
It's not about the money as the time in is always more than I will ever recoup.
People don't realize how long it takes to build a hand that works when you have nothing to go by.
That said,
there are some real jerks BUYING on the EE here too.
Guys that expect a half price iron to be brand new.Even then after you do additional work to it and explain what remains they break something else and try blaming you...
Then after you refund their money they harass you with conspiracy theories and accusations...takes all the fun out of working on the old girls...


Back on topic-
Do did you get that iron yet Dingus? :p
 
Some of us enjoy the resto work and making an old iron function again too.
I like to repair what's broken,shoot them a bit then pass them along.
Once they are shooting the novelty kind of wears off for me.
It's not about the money as the time in is always more than I will ever recoup.
People don't realize how long it takes to build a hand that works when you have nothing to go by.
That said,
there are some real jerks BUYING on the EE here too.
Guys that expect a half price iron to be brand new.Even then after you do additional work to it and explain what remains they break something else and try blaming you...
Then after you refund their money they harass you with conspiracy theories and accusations...takes all the fun out of working on the old girls...


Back on topic-
Do did you get that iron yet Dingus? :p



Hi no no iron yet, soon i hope.

USA Customs is abit touchy right now with parcels with everything on the news about bombs and stuff on cargo jets so i can see changes in shipping regs to be comeing hopefully it wont effect us.
Obuma was gona do a major gun over haul the regs in the uSA to anyone with firearms charge $50 per firearm make all kinda changes with this new Bill but i doubt it will pass now the Rep have won back so many seats so we might be ok for awhile yet.
Things can change fast guys.
 
USPS brought my Spencer from New Jersey to Winnipeg then sent it back.
Was told that Canada Customs sent it back.
Phoned Canada Customs and with the tracking number they informed me that USPS asked for it back.
USPS sent it back to the seller in New Jersey.
When phoned the second supervisor manager told me that USPS doesn't deliver firearms into Canada.
I asked them why then that their name was on the CFC's list of people that do transport into Canada?
Asked for a refund on the shipping not a chance.
Had the fella send it USP and had it two weeks later after clearing customs.

USPS = STUPID

Ken.
 
Maybe, but you don't get charged brokerage fees.

Exactly true...though in some case the charges are not really that bad. Had a parcel shipped through UPS whihc weighed about 50 lbs, and measured 4 foot by 2 foot square with an honest value of 125.00...total additional cost was 47.50, that included shipping!!!
Have tried to explain to sellers that there is no issue putting paid value on an item...I have no problems paying the fair share of the taxes in order to fulfill my obligation and civic duty as a taxpaying Canadian citizen.
I told a seller exactly this, in those words...his reply...B.S.!!! You can figure out the meaning. We had a good laugh over it!!!
 
Maybe, but you don't get charged brokerage fees.

UPS wont ship antique or any handguns to Canada nor will fedex or any of the other US carriers as far as i know.
If we loose USPS we loose our only way other than walking across the border to buy antiques from the US supply for our hobby.

Brokerage fees with UPS turn alot of guys off i never herd so much complaining about any company on cgn more than UPS.
I never used them for anything because of all the warnings about there hi brokerage fees.
To me even with the odd screw up USPS and Canada post are still the best way to ship. just my 2 cents.
 
UPS wont ship antique or any handguns to Canada nor will fedex or any of the other US carriers as far as i know.
If we loose USPS we loose our only way other than walking across the border to buy antiques from the US supply for our hobby.

Brokerage fees with UPS turn alot of guys off i never herd so much complaining about any company on cgn more than UPS.
I never used them for anything because of all the warnings about there hi brokerage fees.
To me even with the odd screw up USPS and Canada post are still the best way to ship. just my 2 cents.

Dido... I have had UPS brokerage fees screw a good deal on motorcycle parts, gun parts & every other part..... If a seller will only ship 'UPs', I'm not buying. The ones that truly hurt are the guy's that promise to ship United States Postal Service & end up shipping UPS. If its a credit card deal it will get kicked back to the seller....
 
USPS and CP all the way!
that said,
you can fill out your own forms and be your own brokerage agent for UPS parcels.
You just have to inform them before they do it.
and DWE is bang on with the alternate shipping routine...I had a saddle come from Texas UPS that was supposed to be USPS...the difference in shipping was $125 on top of the original $80... :eek:
 
UPS says they don't ship firearms across the border.

The seller should indicate the contents are "pre-1898 antique" on the postal customs declaration form and USPS won't have a problem with it in my experience. Having the RCMP antique letter inside the box with the antique is also good if it does go to US Customs. I had one revolver go to US Customs, but they released it back to USPS within 24 hours.

Antiques are legally considered non-firearms in both Canada and the USA, although the rules as to what constitutes an antique is slightly different in each country.

You can legally purchase an antique at a store in the USA and transport it back to Canada. It's legally a non-firearm and not covered by US export regulations. Purchasing ammo or loading components for the same antique would be highly illegal and in contravention of US export laws. It would be a good idea to have some documentation to prove the antique gun meets US and Canadian antique regulations in case you were questioned on the US side or when you entered Canada.
 
Hey Dingus, did you get your gun?

Was just talking to a US dealer that I have purchased from before. He told me that he has started to register his antique cartridge firearms foriegn shipments with Dept of State to ensure USPS won't hold it up. Muzzleloaders haven't been a problem, just cartridge guns.
 
ups are scumbags and i do not give them my business. i have choice words for them but i cannot use them on here.
 
Yes i got my Gun sorry guys i missed the Questions^^^
It was only in USA Customs for about 4 days they spat it out tho.
It was a USPS postal worker flaged it.
 
Can I drive over to the U.S., purchase an antique revolver, bring it back and declare through customs on the Canadian side?

Why is walking over there being talked about and not driving?

It sounds like I should be able to....but I just can't see it happening, nobody at the border down here knows anything about firearm details, they would almost handcuff you.

How would I go about getting an RCMP antique letter?

Heading over tomorrow to take a look at Cabelas in Dundee...

any info would help, thanks
 
I believe you will find that any firearm shipped by courier from the US to Canada will go to US export control before it leaves their country. The only way around this is if it comes by parcel post as it will go directly to Canada Customs or Canada Post and then on to the addressee. Courier shipments will also all go directly to a broker on the Canadian side, after leaving US Costoms, for them to tack on another percentage for doing nothing. I don't know of any US businesses which will ship any way other than courier.
 
Back
Top Bottom