Valuation Please_Westley Richards

yardie

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Location
53º / 113º
It seems I may have an opportunity to acquire what appears to be an actual Westley Richards shotgun.

Up until I saw the proof marks, I had figured it was just another Belgian copy...

...I think I'm wrong.

I turn to the SMEs in this forum for an educated (or close enough :D) estimate on what this is actually worth from the pictures I was given:

http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z197/o2thief/Westley%20Richards%20Shotgun/

Thanks so much in advance!
 
Why do you think that this is a Westley Richards? The gun is obviously an English double, but I cannot see anything in the photos that would suggest it is a Westley Richards.
 
Good point...I'm just passing along the information that I was told:

From an email:

- The gun is a W. RICHARDS
- The year is 1900-1901
- It is 46 inches from the but to end of barrel
- The barrel is 30 inches
- Its a double trigger

Will confirm.
 
English gunmakers would often name a rather common grade gun with a name close to a higher end gun. Seen it personally, everyone gets excited but it's a clever way of counterfitting, IMO.
Be cautious about dropping coin on what appears to be a really good deal.
Like they say " Can't cheat an honest man"
 
While I am far from being an expert,I was under the impression that Wesley Richards were marked that way, always, and my guess would then be that this is a Belgian copy.
 
The proof marks are definitely English. Not Belgian.
W. Richards is not Westley Richards - his guns are very specifically marked, and addressed. W. Richards could be a real name - William Richards, for example. It could also be a spurious name.
I really doubt that the gun is a Westley Richards.
 
Just a quick note: some Belgian guns were made in Belgium and proofed in Birmingham to add to the illusion that the customer was getting a British gun. They were capable guns which still had to pass proper British proof, but still, they were not actually British.
I know. I have one that has been in the family for many decades.
 
I definitely appreciate all the information here folks...a bit of research did reveal that 'Westley Richards' was a maker who copycats liked to play off.

Indeed...W. Richards may not be Westley, I'll have to actually get my pervy peepers on said firearm.

So, that being said...is there a 'best & worst case' figure?
 
Can't tell much from the pictures. The action opening types suggests early date, probably the 1870's. If the bores are really good and the action tight AND it is English made - still under $500. Notice that there appears to be almost no engraving and chequering is worn away.

Bob
 
I would put the gun in the $300 - $400 range. Tiriaq beat me to it; William Richards made economy grade guns in the late 1800s as I recall. My impression is that by 1900, a Westley Richards gun would have had one of their unique top levers that pivots off to the right side rather than in the middle like most top levers. The strange pivot was to allow the lever to withdraw a locking bolt on the dolls head if my memory is correct

cheers mooncoon
 
Last edited:
iT IS NOT THE WESTLEY RICHARDS YOU ARE THINKING OF, BUT THESE ARE WELL BUILT ENGLISH DOUBLE, there is an cheap Belgian named shotgun, but yours is english. There was an web page looking for serial numbers for some research on these fine SXS shotguns, I can't remember where, but I have an similiar gun that I rescued from a gunsmith friend throwing out old parts, was real heavy, turned out to be a 10 ga!! Same but and hammers as yours. I suggest you contact one of the more knowledgable fellows here such as Canvasback and Mark Dube and others, cheers Dale Z!
 
I maybe siting behind a computer with sh!tty resolution, or I'm old? But what are those letters behind the the lever on the action on the left hand side in pic 8?
 
...top levers that pivots off to the right side rather than in the middle like most top levers...

I'm being told it does swing off to the side...I've asked for a pic of it completely broken illustrating this.

I maybe siting behind a computer with sh!tty resolution, or I'm old? But what are those letters behind the the lever on the action on the left hand side in pic 8?

No, it's not your age...I can't make it out either. I've asked for a better pic showing exactly what is there.

...and it continues...thank you very much yet again Gentlemen, please know I appreciate this!
 
The top latch to which mooncoon is referring is totally different than the system on the gun you've shown in the photos.
 
My Westley Richards is marked as such.
I have never seen a side latched Westley Richards, but yes, I HAVE seen a W. Richards, which is another maker.
I have also seen Belgian guns marked as such.
Your gun does not seem to be of the same quality of the Westely Richards guns I have looked at and shot.
Cat
 
Back
Top Bottom