Value for 1873 Winchester

Becks357

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Location
Northern B.C
Hello
good folks,
I need some help getting the value for above mentioned rifle. It is a fair condition 44 cal, 1877 made (serial# 25###) 24" round barrel Sporter model. The rear sight and one lower butt stock screw are missing.
According to Homestead Service Self Appraisal the value of the gun is $1400-$3000 US. However, this is in the states! I do not believe, that these guns would demand such high prices in Canada!?

All help is highly appreciated.

cheers
Becks
ATTACH]IMG_2381.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg
 

Attachments

  • thumbnail_IMG_2362.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2362.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 226
  • thumbnail_IMG_2364.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2364.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_2381.jpg
    IMG_2381.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 225
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 224
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 226
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 224
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
That is a first model '73. First models are very hard to find. I would say that it would be worth closer to $3,000 but it also depends upon whether the stocks have been sanded and any other issues it might have
 
It is a first model so my numbers are wrong. Plus I would call it "good" not fair condition. 38-55 is right about the stocks. They look decent but the wood should be slightly proud of the steel or flush with it if they are unsanded. I would say in Canada it would be around $2000 in value. It seems to me that Winchester values are softer than they were 20 years ago. I think the guys born in the 30's thru the 50's are dying off and this age group had the biggest fascination with Winchester rifles.
 
Thank you all for your advise,
I bought the rifle from a family, that claims that it has been in their Family for a very long time and that it was in fact a "bring back" from the 2nd Boer war by one of their ancestors.
Of course, there is no documentation to support that claim. (It still makes a nice story though). I do not really know much about Winchester rifles but I somewhat know antique firearms and this one looks all original and un-tempered to me. I haven't fired this gun and I am not really planning on doing so. I am a bit on the edge putting it up for sale. It is a nice piece of history (have a hard time letting them go!:redface:)


cheers
Becks357
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom