Value of a S&W Model One and a Half 25cal 1860's pistol

72mustang

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 99%
97   1   0
Hi

Curious if anyone here might know a rough value of a 1860's S&W Model One and a Half in 25cal. I know of someone who is selling this. Two concerns are..

- being this old is it an antique or still prohibited ?

- cyclinder at times not matching up with barrel if one ever wanted to use it. It has the fixed trigger with pressure plate in the trigger that depresses.

Curious as to what this might be worth. Anyone ??????
 
Antique if .25 rimfire. Are you sure it is .25? .32RF is more common. There are also little old Smiths in .22; these are restricted or prohibited depending on barrel length.
Not enough information to suggest value. Condition makes a huge difference.
 
I checked online and it states they come in 32... so maybe the seller was mistaken. There are also 2-3 versions of this model. Without seeing it in person the seller thinks its a version 2. Condition would be good... other than the cylinder not meeting up perfectly at times. Barrel length is around 3 inches.
 
Value could be anywhere.
The functional problem may or may not be serious.
Condition - amount of original finish, etc. is a major factor.
Doggy overall, and not working properly, maybe a couple of hundred bucks.
80 or 90 percent original finish, even with the mechanical problem, a lot more, several hundred.
 
I had a beautiful post civil war model, 32 rim fire cal. Shot well at the club. Complete, Vg or better condition 300-400 range minimum.
 
Yes for a functional smith 1 1/2 in shooting shape "decent lockup and timing, not heavily pitted"... $375.00 - 400.00

A piece that is in good condition with tight hinge, lockup and timing but mediocre finish, "still some pitting here and there".. $425-475.

A piece that is in good to very good condition mechanically with much of the original finish remaining and little to no pitting could fetch anywhere from $525-1000+.
 
According to my reference:
- If it is a model one and a half then it should be in .32 rimfire and posssibly some in 32 centerfire
- All model one-and-a-half were made between 1865 and 1875.

Value ranges from $1000 (excellent) to $75 (poor).
Most of these are worn badly in mechanicals and finish.
With some minor timing and wear issues but otherwise mechanically strong it is probably worth somewhere between $200-$400, assuming the bore is usable with decent rifling and not much pitting.

Very good exterior condition could raise the value substantially.

There are three different recognised versions of the model one-and-a-half: old version, transition version, and new version. If you can post pictures I might be able to tell which it is. There is some difference in rarity and desireabilty between the different versions.
 
I own a model 1 1/2 S&W, It is in .32 rimfire- from my research the only came that way- this pistol was the originator of the .32 rf
The model one was a .22 and I do believe that the model 2 is .41 rf.
The top hinge is the week point of this gun.
janice


This is a pic of my model 1 1/2 (wood off).
 
Last edited:
Some more info I missed the first time:

My reference says the 1-1/2 models were also made in "Top Break Centerfire" from 1878 to 1892. These sn raged from 1-97574. I don't know which "centerfire" cartridge that would be but assume it would be one of the .32s, and therefore prohibited.

It is a well known fact that the 32 centerfires were evil. When you vote, please remember how the Liberal Party saved us from these tools of the devil.
 
Last edited:
Serial number is 404##. I have pics but have no way to post them as my computer security wont allow me access to photobucket. If anyone would like pics that can guesstimate is value I can send them. The seller wants to sell.
 
I own a model 1 1/2 S&W, It is in .32 rimfire- from my research the only came that way- this pistol was the originator of the .32 rf
The model one was a .22 and I do believe that the model 2 is .41 rf.
The top hinge is the week point of this gun.
janice


This is a pic of my model 1 1/2 (wood off).

The model 2 is a 32 RF as well. I have a few of them.
 
Back
Top Bottom