Value of a Winchester M1892 38WCF 1915

DarExc

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Hi all, I am helping a friend to sell this old rifle they've had for a long time. It wasn't looked after so it isn't in great shape. I cleaned the barrel, it is very shiny with a couple spots in it but strong rifling. Outside it is rusty looking. He's wondering what the value is as he wants to sell. I have no idea as I only like military rifles and this rifle was for the civilian market. From the serial number I can tell it was made in 1915.

IMG_20161006_175936.jpg

IMG_20161006_175944.jpg

IMG_20161006_180108.jpg

IMG_20161006_180135.jpg

IMG_20161006_180155.jpg

IMG_20161006_180847.jpg

IMG_20161006_180918.jpg

IMG_20161006_180919.jpg

IMG_20161006_180920.jpg
 
I've got worse looking that shoot like a laser.

Try cycling some dummy loads through it. .38 WCF (aka 38-40) isn't as common as 44-40, not sure how that affects the overall value. If it cycles well then it'd at least be a decent shooter.

It appears to have a factory half mag, which was an option. OR the barrel has been shortened and the dovetail slot chopped off with it so they shortened the mag. But it could be "baby" carbine configuration. How long is that barrel?

You also have the carbine sight (granted stanard for the carbines) and it looks to be complete.


There are a couple guys on here who really know their Winnie's and pricing, hopefully they come by...
 
Last edited:
Too bad about the condition. Looks like a factory saddle ring carbine, half magazine. The shotgun butt could be original though special order. The fluted 92/94 butt stock began appearing around WW1 but the wood doesn't seem to match the forend. So maybe a later addition. Basically a parts gun due to condition. I wouldn't pay more than $300 for it personally.
 
Thanks for the responses. Finally got a chance to look at it again. I've had nearly 10 PM's on people wanting to buy this and it isn't even posted yet...wish I had that kind of interest for my G43 when I posted that! I measured the barrel, comes in at ~19.5inches. What's a fair price? I'm not profiting off of it, just doing a favour so I don't want to have it listed too low, hoping to get a couple other opinions before I pass it back on Friday. Sadly, I have no rounds for this, otherwise I'd try it out.

lastly, here is the butt plate.

IMG_20161011_171933.jpg
 
Last edited:
In my neck of the woods, if it cycles well and is safe to shoot, and the chamber isn't pitted, oil up the steel and it'd have no problem landing $400-$500 and I'd suggest the number of PMs bears that out. More than that, I doubt it.

With cycling issues/rough chamber then yes $300 as a parts gun is reasonable. I'd break it down, you could probably get more than that in parts...

My opinion only...
 
Cool, thanks. I'm going to tell him to try and sell for $500 I was originally telling him I thought 5 or 600 from uninformed Google searches. Thanks a lot, I may well list it here if he wants.
 
If you do end up shooting it, don't be too freaked out if the case changes shape too much. The "standard" chamber dimension for 38-40 was never standardized, so the shoulder might end up quite a bit further forward on a fired case versus a non fired case.

My 38-40 pushes the shoulder forward about 1/4 inch, which doesn't leave much neck left to hold a boolit for reloading. I have to push the shoulder back quite a bit every time I reload a bunch of cases.

On an old gun like this it shouldn't be a deal breaker, just something to be aware of if you're going to reload.
 
Hello,

If you still have the carbine I would be interested in adding it to a research survey which I have been working on for about 7 years so far. I have catalogued just over 9700 individual rifles to date and I own more than 40 1892's. I suspect that the butt stock is not original to the gun. Can yo usend me the photos you have of the rifle and the serial number to my email at 2bitrifles@gmail.com You can read about the survey at this link: http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=606355

Thanks
Michael
 
Back
Top Bottom