Value of lightly used 1863 model Remington .58?

sphen

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Location
Toronto North
Hey guys, a casual friend (he's not going to be cutting me any deal I don't think) is looking to sell his replica to raise some cash, I'm always interested in something new so was wondering what a fair price (ballpark) is on something like this? He's the original owner, bought it new in 1976. I've asked him to send some photos over so I'll post those as soon as he gets them here. From what I've seen of this guys stuff in the past he keeps it in pretty good condition, I doubt he's fired it more than a couple of times. He says it comes with balls, caps, patches, rod, etc... so just curious, ballpark, what am I looking at?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
 
"Zouave" is a nickname for the Remington M1863. The original rifle was not made in large numbers, wasn't widely issued. There were militia troops who copied the somewhat garish uniform of French North African Zouave troops. Maybe these units purchased these rifles. Don't know why it was one of the first reproduced Civil War period long arms, and produced in large numbers.
A number of Italian makers produced repro 1863s, there was even one made in Spain. Some are better than others.
 
Thanks! Ok, he sent some more info: "Manufactured by Ranson , Italia, Spa. (Bresia, Italy). It became Investarms probably in the '80's which makes all the Lyman firearms today."

Serial number confirms year of manufacture as 1976.

So what do you guys think? I'm still waiting of photos but assume it to be in very good condition, very minor signs of wear, safe kisses, etc...
 
Personally I wouldn't pay over 300$ max on that. I've had many opportunities to buy them some recently for 200-300$ and didn't mainly because it's really not that desirable to me. If he wants more then 300 save an extra 100$ or 200$ and buy an enfield by euroarms or an old Parker hale, they come up in the 400-500$ ballpark from time to time and are a way nicer gun.
 
Thanks. I talked to him today, he wants $400 for it, with the balls, patches, rod, case, etc... included. Seems pretty firm on that so unless anyone else wants to weigh in I think I'll have to pass at this point. Thanks for the reply.
 
Buy it! If it has a 1x48" twist, it will stabilize both patched RB and Minies.

Way back I had a lady shooing buddy who had an Italian made Zouave. I had a Parker-Hale two bander. We shot against the set trigger Hawken crown and kicked butt.
If I beat her, I'd had a good day.
 
Thanks guys, I'll check the barrel twist but I think that's more information than he knows how to get. He's pretty firm right now at $400 so I'm still sitting on the fence.
 
I guess it depends on how bad u want it. I picked up one just like that one 2 years ago at a gun show for $225 unfired. Just a few light safe kisses.
Trevor
 
Back
Top Bottom