Value of marlin 1893

cote_b

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
233   0   0
Location
Ontario
Hi guys

About 5 or 6 years ago me and my family were visiting some friends of the family and the topic of an old rifle came up. I asked to see it and it was a marlin 1893 in .32 spl. At that time, I was only about 15 years old and didn't think to really get a good look at the bore or overall condition or serial number. From what I remember, it has a semi-pistol grip stock. I can't recall if it was a full or half mag tube or a round or oct barrel. I know the facts are vague, but any idea on a value? I want to make an offer on it, but I get the impression they wont sell it since its a rifle thats been in the family for a long time. I think they also sincerely overestimate the value too. I think a number I remember being thrown around was " over 10 grand". Obviously they have no idea what its really worth, because Im sure its worth less than a grand, depending on alot of details I cant remember. The gun is registered and I know one of the family members has some kind of firearms license, but they never use it. I hate seeing that rifle go to waste.

Any idea guys? I may take a trip over there sometime and get a better look at it and more facts on it.
 
Pictures are really required for any kind of estimate of value. These days a lot of folks place wildly inflated values on old lever guns, just because they're old. I have never seen a Marlin that would command anywhere near that price tag even special order guns. If it is a standard rifle(which wouldn't have a pistol grip) it would go for $400-$800 depending on condition. A friend of mine sold an 1893 saddle ring carbine in .32/40 with most of the colour case still on the action for $1000 a few years ago.
 
Pictures are really required for any kind of estimate of value. These days a lot of folks place wildly inflated values on old lever guns, just because they're old. I have never seen a Marlin that would command anywhere near that price tag even special order guns. If it is a standard rifle(which wouldn't have a pistol grip) it would go for $400-$800 depending on condition. A friend of mine sold an 1893 saddle ring carbine in .32/40 with most of the colour case still on the action for $1000 a few years ago.

I think that's a good estimate. There's one on the EE in 38-55 that's been there a few wekks already.
 
With a pistol grip, it might be a deluxe version. A huge amount depends upon condition, but it wouldn't be even withing a parsec of 10 grand unless it had been owned by Teddy Roosevelt. If it has been messed with, it might be $300 and if it was in mint condition and it was a deluxe, it would be worth quite a bit more, but I don't have any idea how much, but more than $1,700 if it was a mint condition deluxe.
 
Thanks for your input guys! I know my facts are vague right now but I'll hopefully get a better look at it soon and some pics.
 
I'm sitting on the fence right now trying to figure what to do with my Marlin 1893 in 30-30. I had to epoxy the shattered stock back together along with a split forestock. The bluing is long gone and I replaced the sight with a new 1894 ramp sight. It has a new ejector and the saddle ring is missing. Aside from that....it's great! I had every intention of re finishing it and selling, but the more I shoot it the harder it is to part with it. I actually haven't even attempted to sight it in! Each time I take it out I seem to just function test it to make sure it cycles okay....and it does. The barrel has been dinged beyond belief, including some plier marks! I just can't seem to bring myself to get rid of or camouflage the 'character' of this old boy. As much as I need the cash it's really hard to let it go. Keep or sell?

(sorry for the hi-jack!!!)
 
For all the money you might get out of selling it you might as well keep it. Sometimes the condition of a rifle doesn't really matter, you just like it.
 
Back
Top Bottom