Value of prohibited colt?

pdpush

Regular
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Location
Near Red Deer,AB
Hello. I am curious what value may range from for a Colt SAA in prohibited non antique caliber, like the 32-20? I have seen prescibed antiques sell in the EE,but have never really noticed any prohibs for sale. Obviously should be less but how much less realistically?
 
Ok, seeing as no one else has piped in I will give this a shot. If we are talking 1st generation pre 1899 antique the value IMHO in the very least would be what you could get from an american buyer on gunbroker, so assuming nothing else special and of course condition I think 2-3.5K would not be unreasonable. It's getting harder and harder to find any decent antique SAA under 2k.
 
Pictures help with any valuation that can be given.

If for example you have an honest prohibited sherrifs model the value could be higher than usual depending on condition. An unaltered US martial marked model would fetch a premium, calvary models as well, unique inspectors marks, etc etc.

Pictures would help an evaluation, a Colt factory letter could help even more to determine original condition. You could very well be sitting on a $10000 or more gun depending on the right circumstances.

How did I miss that, 32-20 is a prohibited caliber on the list of prohibited caliber pistols. So not only not an antique by caliber, but also prohibited.
 
Last edited:
If it's only the calibre (as oppose to barrel-length) that's "prohibited" :yingyang: , you've got a restricted firearm in Canada that's still considered to be an antique in the United States per the (B)ATF :wave: - those can command some very good prices in the United States !....:cool:
 
There is a colt listed in a upcoming auction as a prohibited 32 W.C.F. Ser.# is 199203. http://www.mcinenly.com/2012auctions/gpetronech.html

I can not make it and don't really know what it is worth, maybe one of you gents will be interested.
 
If it's only the calibre (as oppose to barrel-length) that's "prohibited" :yingyang: , you've got a restricted firearm in Canada that's still considered to be an antique in the United States per the (B)ATF :wave: - those can command some very good prices in the United States !....:cool:

I've got a 32-20 Colt that is registered as prohibited. How do you get that changed? - dan
 
I've got a 32-20 Colt that is registered as prohibited. How do you get that changed? - dan

If its a SAA, barrel and cylinder changes are not specifically complicated, the parts are generally available. If it's pre 1898 and with said barrel/cylinder change to an appoved caliber you as registered owner need to call cfc and ask to get it deregistered as an antique. If its 1898 or newer do the above(obviously keep in mind barrel length) and get it's clasification changed to restricted. My Webley MKII was a previous prohib, went from evil to pure as the driven snow with a simple phone call, funny how it is that way.:)
 
I've got a 32-20 Colt that is registered as prohibited. How do you get that changed? - dan

By selling it to me.:)
I have a a SAA 32-20 also. It's the nicest one to shoot in my opinion. I have a .45 with a 5.5 in. barrel, weight is 36.6 oz. and a .38 cal the same length is 38.9 oz. The 32.20 has a 4.5 in. barrel, at 41.9 oz. To me, very comfy to use. I'll leave it a prohb. But yes, easier to sell as a restricted.
 
No,I just misunderstood the post. I thought perhaps there was a way to unprohib the 32-20 without changing the caliber, but I like the soft shooting 32. Oh well, at least the children are safe. - dan

Sorry ! ...:eek:

I completely forgot to say that if the "no-go" calibre is .25 or .32 :redface: , it basically requires "taking-off" the barrel....:(

I was referring to "no-go for antique" calibres like .44-40, etc .....:yingyang:
 
Would 32-20 not qualify for antique status if the revolver was made 1897 or before? It's not on the list of banned calibers. Yes, it's a prohib as a modern revolver, but that doesn't mean it can't be antique, does it? There is a small handful of .25 and .32 auto pistols that are antique (and hugely expensive) because they're made pre-1898. Just pre.
 
32-20(32 WCF) is a no go caliber on the antique list and on the modern firearm prohib list. It's just pure evil :)
 
Would 32-20 not qualify for antique status if the revolver was made 1897 or before? It's not on the list of banned calibers. Yes, it's a prohib as a modern revolver, but that doesn't mean it can't be antique, does it? There is a small handful of .25 and .32 auto pistols that are antique (and hugely expensive) because they're made pre-1898. Just pre.

No, unfortunately not. 32-20 is one of the cartridges that disallows antique status regardless of the date of manufacture.


Definitions of prescribed antiques:
HANDGUNS
6. A handgun manufactured before 1898 that is capable of discharging
only rim-fire cartridges, other than 22 Calibre Short, 22 Calibre
Long or 22 Calibre Long Rifle cartridges.

7.
A handgun manufactured before 1898 that is capable of discharging
centre-fire cartridges, other than a handgun designed or
adapted to discharge 32 Short Colt, 32 Long Colt, 32 Smith and Wesson,
32 Smith and Wesson Long, 32-20 Winchester, 38 Smith and
Wesson, 38 Short Colt, 38 Long Colt, 38-40 Winchester, 44-40
Winchester, or 45 Colt cartridges.
​
​
​


​

 
Hello. I am curious what value may range from for a Colt SAA in prohibited non antique caliber, like the 32-20? I have seen prescibed antiques sell in the EE,but have never really noticed any prohibs for sale. Obviously should be less but how much less realistically?

I had a US dealer offer me a pre-98 SAA 32-20 in the $2K range just a few days ago. Non- matching numbers IIRC. It might still be available - if anyone is interested in contacting the seller send me a PM and I'll give you the contact info.
 
I listened to the auction online today and this Colt went for $1100. It was sold to somebody there bidding in person, not to a online bidder.

There is a colt listed in a upcoming auction as a prohibited 32 W.C.F. Ser.# is 199203. http://www.mcinenly.com/2012auctions/gpetronech.html

I can not make it and don't really know what it is worth, maybe one of you gents will be interested.
 
Back
Top Bottom