Value of Springfield 45-70

Papaclaude

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Location
Ottawa
I have a 1873 trapdoor that is in fair to good shape. Barrel is dark but has strong rifling. The rifle has been cut down to carbine length and fairly modern sights are on it. Any idea as to what it might be worth? I'm looking at making some room in my cabinets, and this might be one of the sacrificial lambs.
 
Within the past 12 months, I sold a high condition one with about 90% original blue on barrel and still a bit of case color on the breech, with an excellent bore, all original, unmessed with, for $1,500. If yours has a cut down barrel and modern sights installed, I would say it would be worth considerably less than this, although some people think I sold mine at a ridiculously low price, so I could be wrong.
 
"...has been cut down to carbine length..." It a bubba'd rifle or a Carbine that has been bubba'd with the sights? Is it an original or a modern copy?
 
Basically you are looking at a "parts" gun, with no value for the barrel...especially if the bore is questionable. If it is an original gun the collectible value is virtually nil. From your basic description it sounds like a kitchen table gunsmith sporterized gun...no insult intended. Mooncoon is not far off with his estimate, though I would break it down a bit.
Condition is an important factor to determine the value...the prices below are based on very good plus condition with 50% finish, no rust, or broken metals parts.
To break it down here it is...it may not be acceptable to most people;
Receiver, c/w Breechblock, firing pin, cam latch--$120.00
Lock, c/w hammer and ALL internal (as long as it is functional)--$125.00
Trigger guard and plate, One piece M1888 style, c/w sling swivel-$50.00
Trigger guard and plate, two piece bow style c/w sling swivel--$75.00
Forgot to mention..just in case the trigger guard and plate are actually the carbine style detail photo of same to determine the variant. There were rifle trigger guard bows which were modified to resemble the carbine bow
Trigger guard and plate, Carbine, two piece bow style, short leg variant--$200.00
Trigger guard and plate, Carbine, two piece bow style, long leg variant--$100.00

Butt plate--$30.00
Lower barrel band, notched for Buffington rear sight--$20.00
Lower barrel band, not notched--$40.00
Cut-down stock- $00.00
Barrel, cut down--$00.00
 
Last edited:
Thanks, Alonzo. No hurt feelings here. It was bubba'ed. The mechanism is in good condition, and it shoots very consistently. All of the mechanism and hardware is original and working. I just need to make some room. Your estimate sure seems like an educated value. I'll post some pix when I get home to confirm or deny this.
 
Back
Top Bottom