Vancouver Island Rendezvous

mooncoon

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Location
Vancouver Island
I have a question for Vancouver Island black powder shooters; attendance at island rendezvous has been low for quite a few years. In many cases, 3/4 of those attending are from the club hosting the event. Some of the shooters who do not attend, do so because of work schedules which conflict. My question is aimed at island shooters who do not attend --- why do you not attend and what changes would you like to see that would make you more likely to attend?

cheers mooncoon
 
This' going back further than a few years, but I found I generally was out of the loop and didn't know the shoots were occurring until just before, and generally my free time ceases to be mine a month or two in advance. Not sure how best to broadcast it, but somehow conveying the info to other shooters not already frequently attending might help a lot. Maybe put signs up a couple months in advance with all the summer's dates at MD Charlton, Pullen's, Island Outfitters and at the various gun clubs? Maybe have a part of it saying new shooters welcome? Posting on forums might also help, but usually the people in the BP forum should already know. Is there a chance an email list could be started so people get reminders if they haven't been to the range or the store and seen the signs? Of all the groups I'm a part of, I'm most aware of the ones that do monthly emails, just because it's something to read on a break and it comes to me regardless of whether I was thinking about it or not.

Sorry to hear that attendance has been low - those shoots were tons of fun and I would definitely be coming out if I still lived nearby.
 
Doug,

Good post. I have been discussing the same in WA and BC as well.

Here are some common denominators that have come up;

- current age of the majority of shooters is increasing
- not enough new shooters coming into the sport
- retailers are not carrying MLs and or supplies anymore. Mail order does not attract new new shooters.
- Costs of getting into the sport going up
- Cost of travel
- Individuals and families busier today
- action and black rifle/pistol is hot these days

There was a suggestion to change up events.

Was looking at discussing this at Heffley. Maybe we can get together there and discuss some.
 
My interest has waned because of reasons already listed. I would like to see increased distances between tin camps and the primitive camp area, like it is at Hefley Creek.

I also think having a daily schedule of non-shooting events as in, bow making, flint knapping, shelter making, primitive fire making, atlatl making, cooking with cast iron, metal forging, casting lead and other soft metals.

You get the idea. I look at rendezvous as a chance for experimental archaeology. Trying our hand at making things the way those who came before us did:) $0.02
Doug,

Good post. I have been discussing the same in WA and BC as well.

Here are some common denominators that have come up;

- current age of the majority of shooters is increasing
- not enough new shooters coming into the sport
- retailers are not carrying MLs and or supplies anymore. Mail order does not attract new new shooters.
- Costs of getting into the sport going up
- Cost of travel
- Individuals and families busier today
- action and black rifle/pistol is hot these days

There was a suggestion to change up events.

Was looking at discussing this at Heffley. Maybe we can get together there and discuss some.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the input so far. In reply to Hugh, the West Coast Rangers site posts the rendezvous on the island and some off of it. I think BCPA also posts posters for upcoming shoots. One thing that I am guilty of is putting off making a new poster in a timely fashion.

Tex; I will be up in my usual location at Heffley, up at the top back of primitive and look forward to a chin wag

cheers mooncoon
 
I too would appreciate a chance to sit with you and discuss these ideas as the Alberta Black Powder Association shares many of the same issues and I understand the Sask BP Assoc. may be in trouble for the same reasons....I know where you live...
 
My interest has waned because of reasons already listed. I would like to see increased distances between tin camps and the primitive camp area, like it is at Hefley Creek.

I also think having a daily schedule of non-shooting events as in, bow making, flint knapping, shelter making, primitive fire making, atlatl making, cooking with cast iron, metal forging, casting lead and other soft metals.

You get the idea. I look at rendezvous as a chance for experimental archaeology. Trying our hand at making things the way those who came before us did:) $0.02

In my discussions I have had others express the same to see non shooting events as well.
 
I too would appreciate a chance to sit with you and discuss these ideas as the Alberta Black Powder Association shares many of the same issues and I understand the Sask BP Assoc. may be in trouble for the same reasons....I know where you live...

Should I move? LOL See you up at Heffley....
 
Sask Black Powder Association is largely the membership of the Saskatoon Muzzle Loading Club with a few other members around the Province. The Saskatoon Muzzle Loading Club is alive and well, very well in fact. My personal opinion is that the SBPA is an organization looking for a reason to exist beyond its historic role. The real reason that it has continued is as a representative of Muzzle Loading shooters to Saskatchewan Environment on hunting related issues.
The shoots that attract the most shooters are the SAWWS and SASS Cowboy Action shoots that our club hosts on our property. The growth of Cowboy Action Shooting could well be the area that newer BP shooters are gravitating to.
Our traditional ML shoots are attracting fewer participants through the summer, at least. Our Black Powder Trap shoots have a solid following. It seems that BP cartridge shooting has waned a bit, but we do not have the distance for a full course of targets. .22 silhouette shoots always get a good turnout.
Our shoots have never been strictly a Rendezvous, with only a few people turning up in costume. That aspect of BP shooting faded a long time ago in Saskatchewan.
Our annual shoot is on the Labour day weekend. The number of registered shooters will reveal how that is doing.
There a lot of grey hairs among the people doing the work at our club, like most others I suspect. Volunteer burn-out is a serious problem with shooting clubs.
 
Up here, at our range's annual open house our cannon/blackpowder table (that I man with another guy) is always busy but our local BP club hasn't existed for several years. Most of the same reasons above; The most senior members are retired or unfortunately passed away. As ya all know it's a lot of work... I undertook to have just an informal shoot at our range this year but so far haven't found a weekend free to do it (other volunteer commitments, kids and their sports etc, yardwork, maintenance, chickens, geezzz).
 
i tried it briefly, but there is such an "old guard" mentality around my area that a few of us newer members, were never really welcomed, we were looked down on for having new gear, with new ideas, we didnt mesh well with the older crew, we tried, in the end i gave up and sold off my BP equipment, that and it seemed like what a few others have posted, events and meets always seemed to be announced or posted kinda last minute, and a busy work and family life didnt really give me the chance to drop and run to a meet kinda of thing, i need advanced notice, as would most of my friends due to working out of town, to be able to attend anything out of town, heck even some weekends i need a months notice to escape the honey do list lol
 
One idea that I am toying with, is to have one or two "door prizes" worth say $50 each. Put the names of all of the shooters in a hat and draw from there. The idea being that you do not have to be a good shot to win something worthwhile. This year we had a fort shoot with no extra cost and the winning team got bragging rights. Victoria ran roughly the same theme and I think that people enjoyed shooting in it. In the past we have had a frying pan toss and an atlatl throw (farthest distance) with limited success. Steppenwolf's idea of seminars has merit although scheduling might be a problem. They work well at Heffley because there are a lot of people and a lot of separate competitions. That means a relatively few people may choose not to compete in a specific event but still represent enough people to justify a seminar

cheers mooncoon
 
I've seen a lot of interest from younger shooters when I'm at a regular range day. First question, after they try it, is where can I get one? Sadly the problem is not the weapon, but the fuel. If retailers were allowed to stock even the 25lb that shooters can legally, we would have more shooters. Regulations about powder magazines are killing the sport. No retailler in urban areas can store real black.
 
I've seen a lot of interest from younger shooters when I'm at a regular range day. First question, after they try it, is where can I get one? Sadly the problem is not the weapon, but the fuel. If retailers were allowed to stock even the 25lb that shooters can legally, we would have more shooters. Regulations about powder magazines are killing the sport. No retailler in urban areas can store real black.

I've been skeptical about "the subs" but this year at our open house, letting ~40-50 folks try out my front stuffers, out of necessity (because I couldn't snag any Goex locally) I ran 777 which seems to be everywhere. I had to admit it made good smoke; OK the smell isn't quite authentic but for getting people into it "it worked just fine". It is a bit more energetic and I've not tried it in cartridges yet but... of course as soon as I can get some Goex I'll be buying it fast as I see it. I understand that Rustywood has Goex, a good 16 hours+ from me by road so I'm hoping someone local will be making that trip at some point. Nuts I was in AK last week I should have checked the local supplier.
 
Back
Top Bottom