Velo dog pocket revolver

bros

Regular
Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Looking for some info for a velo dog pocket revolver. Specifically trying to find manufacturing date to see if this would qualify as a antique with a pre 1898 manufacturing date. I do not know how to post pictures to the form but could send them to a email address if there is a velo dog expert out there.
I'm a bit stumped on this one, I'd appreciate help.

Thanks
 
If you can't post pics, please advise us of ALL the markings on your revolver, and we'll do the best we can. It is VERY unlikely that your Velodog revolver is anything else other than an antique, given the era in which they were a popular part of every males person's pockets, but with the RCMP, you just never know. I had a whale of problems getting them to grudgingly admit that my MkII Snider, with an 1862 lockplate, was an antique, so something a 'modern' as a revolver might cause way too much confusion for them.

OTOH, you could send them to my email address - read your PM. I'll share it out if I can help.
 
Pics would be immensely helpful, and this area is definitely somewhere to tread careful depending on what you have, the "Original" Velo-dog was made by Galand starting in 1894 and is generally pretty easy to prove antique with a makers mark but there are many Belgian and Spanish off-shoots and clones that were made up until just before WW1 like my top-break "Excelsior" velo-dog made by Retolaza Hermanos in Spain around 1910
 
Given an introductory date of 1894, there is a pretty small window for antique status. Unless date of manufature can be confirmed, it is going to be considered a prohib.
 
I've emole bros with the not-so-good news about his revolver. It has a clear Lion over PV stamp - 1898 nitro proof in Belgium. However, the clincher is the asterisk over B - the inspector Charles Roland [fl 1927 -1959]. :(
 
Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies and willingness to help. Special thanks to tacfoley who looked at the pictures and came up with the info in post #5. I came across this velo dog in my travels and was interested in it only if it would fall into the classification of "antique status". No such luck this time round.
Merry Christmas to all fellow Nuters.
 
Hey bros, you live in Port Alice? I've often wanted to move there, just to get away from the never-ending noise of the A1(M) highway abut half a mile from our bedroom windows....looks a nice place to pass my days away, looking out on the sound and all.
 
Back
Top Bottom