Vihtavuori?

89diesel

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Location
SK
I have a couple Thunderers and 1858 Remmy and dont really care to strip them to clean the BP out all the time. While I can take the Thunderers apart in my sleep now, like me and the guns....its getting old!

Has anyone tried Vihtavuori Tin Star in old revolvers?

Lapua data shows comparable stats to BP but no mess.
 
I have a couple Thunderers and 1858 Remmy and dont really care to strip them to clean the BP out all the time. While I can take the Thunderers apart in my sleep now, like me and the guns....its getting old!

Has anyone tried Vihtavuori Tin Star in old revolvers?

Lapua data shows comparable stats to BP but no mess.

There are too many variables in old B.P. percussion revolvers that change pressure. One is the diameter of the hole in the nipple. The other is the flame produced by the percussion cap and how much of that flame gets to ignite the powder. That means that the variation in pressure from chamber to chamber in a given revolver will be different.
I simply would not risk damaging the gun or possible injury that could happen when 130 year old steel fails.
Way back in the 1970s one guy was using Bullseye in a percussion (itlalian made) revolver. It worked well until about 30 shots in the gun cocked itself when a nipple blew out the back of the cylinder and jammed the gun.
The bang wasn't any louder than the shots prior that seemed to work well. One gunsmith had a number of b.p. replica cylinders that were damaged by smokeless loads.
Until the powder company publishes data - don't do it...
 
Way back in the 1970s one guy was using Bullseye in a percussion (itlalian made) revolver. It worked well until about 30 shots in the gun cocked itself when a nipple blew out the back of the cylinder and jammed the gun.


The bang wasn't any louder than the shots prior that seemed to work well. One gunsmith had a number of b.p. replica cylinders that were damaged by smokeless loads.

Spooky....:(
 
When I hear people talking about "light smokeless in the Ruger Old Army f:P: , I cringe .....:bangHead: ....

Indeed!
Two factors for pressure problems with smokeless powders are
1) the strength of the percussion cap (heat and duration of flame)
2) the size of the hole in the nipple (concentrates /limits heat of flame from cap, limits the pressure escape by burning powder) Varying hole sizes can change primary ignition and the pressure curve tremendously. A blocked nipple may cause a pressure spike.
 
Back
Top Bottom