Vintage Ammo

For the 401 try asking Budget Shooter Supply (sponsor above) I understand he's done some special orders for obscure stuff.

I'm sure the brass can be fabricated, no first hand experience but I'm sure someone here has done it. The .401s show up from time to time, personally I love the styling. CH4D is great source for obscure dies, they ship hassle free to Canada; I've ordered some obsolete dies through them and found them great to deal with.

By .30-30 maybe you mean its rimless (less common) counterpart the .30 Remington? First used in early self-loadin' rifles contemporary with the .401 is why I guess that...

Open to correction but I do believe the .30 Rem is still loaded commercially. I do have some boxes of that but don't wanna part with it just yet - however if it isn't available commercially I know where there may be more if it is getting obscure. EDIT: You can simlpy use .30-30 dies, says so right on my Lee dies set for the .30-30 (includes .30 Rem). just choose the appropriate shellholder.
 
Last edited:
I've seen on-line that .401 cases can be made from 7.62x39 brass. In an old "Handloader's Digest" there was an article about the .401 and the author said he made cases out of .35 Remington brass. The "Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions" says to use 9.3x72 brass.
 
If the .401WSL can be made from 7.62x39, then it can be made easier from 6.5x52 Carcano, available in big bags from Trade-Ex (site sponsor).

There is another idea, too, being that .401WSL is a semi-rimmed round: 6,5x50SR Arisaka. BODY diameter is .442 and it HAS the semi-rim. Trade-Ex also.

Hope this helps.
 
If the .401WSL can be made from 7.62x39, then it can be made easier from 6.5x52 Carcano, available in big bags from Trade-Ex (site sponsor).

There is another idea, too, being that .401WSL is a semi-rimmed round: 6,5x50SR Arisaka. BODY diameter is .442 and it HAS the semi-rim. Trade-Ex also.

Hope this helps.

Very interesting - I've several times considered picking up a .401 when I've seen them, so thanks for that! Hope that gets the OP started in the right direction also.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom