Volcanic Pistol in .41 and S&W Lever Pistol in .31

Drachenblut

BANNED
BANNED
BANNED
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
91   0   1
Location
Smithers, B.C.
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone knows if any models or copys of the above still exist? Would they be possible to be fired using black powder? Does anyone know the history behind these intruiging pistols?

Thanks,
Drachenblut
 
I have a couple, but never tried to buy ammo for them ;)

Take care

jpc

volcanic.jpg
 
They are the grandfather of the Henry/Winchester rifles, at least mechanically, and they were made on contract by Smith & Wesson: their first job. As such, they are the foundation of TWO great arms companies.

I am extremely fortunate in that I managed to have a very nice one apart, once upon a time. Right now, it is hiding about 50 miles from here.

The ammunition was very low-powered and was made from the original Hunt "Rocket-Ball" patent. They used a hollow-based lead bullet with the powder charge pressed into the hollow base and a primer (much like a kid's toy caps) glued on. The hollow base of the slug did not have room for much powder, hence the very low power.

Tyler Henry modded the action, making it bigger and longer, then expanded the basic Smith & Wesson .22" rimfire cartridge, the one we now call the .22 Short, doubled it in size. Presto! You now have the Henry rifle in .44RF.

When Henry went broke at the end of the Civil War, Oliver Winchester bought the patents and most of the tooling, had Henry add a wooden fore-end so that your hands wouldn't get burnt. They added the "King's Improvement", being the loading gate on the right-hand side and you had the 1866 Winchester. Mod that to centre-fire and you have the Winchester 1873. Expand that to a .45-75 and you have the NWMP rifle. It was AFTER all that that John Browning got involved.

But the Volcanic was the start of all that....
 
There is a good article in ARMS AND ARMOR ANNUAL (Digest Books, 1973) which you really should read. Seems the entire Volcanic idea is a result of time travel.

The Italian Venditti System pistols are variants of the Volcanic, quite rare. Only problem is that the Italian patents on the things date from 1875 for the first series, using rocket balls, 1877 for the second series, which actually used real CARTRIDGES.

Although known to be an Italian development, for some reason these never caught on as an export product. Wonder why?

VERY interesting article. Sort of reminds one of the Belgian company in the 1980s that actually got a patent on the Costen Grenade Discharger Cup with which so many SMLEs were equipped during World War One.

"There's one born every minute" (P.T. Barnum)
 
So would a real Venditti, one would think.

Still, I think that if I owned either one, I certainly would give it a try, just so I could say that I have done it.

Besides, the Rocket-Ball ammunition was incredibly underpowered even by the standards of the 1850s: one of the reasons the things didn't sell.
 
Back
Top Bottom