W. Richards. 12 Gauge and ????

Mike K.

Regular
Rating - 100%
313   0   0
I am looking for info on the following:

W. Richards side by side. The left barrel is a 12 gauge shotgun and the right barrel is rifled and says 10.4 on the underside of the barrel ( I assume this is the calibre). The rifled side is a rimmed cartridge and a 40-82 Winchester fits in it quite well however the bore is larger). It is an underlever with 30 inch barrels and external hammers. The only other markings on the gun are the words 'Laminated Steel' on the top rib. It has a front bead sight and a dovetail slot for a rear sight (this sight is missing) The gun weighs abot 12 pounds and locks up tight with the underlever and appears to be quite well made. Anyone have any idea when and where it was made and what the rifle calibre may be? Would it be safe to fire? I believe that it may have been made in Belgium at about the turn of the century but not sure. Sorry I don't have any pictures.
 
If it hyas proof marks like this then is Belgium.
DSC03247.jpg

DSC03286-1.jpg


In another post in this forum you will fine a lengthy discussion about the W.Richards guns made in Beligum. I expect rifle side to be a european cartridge, 9.3x57R or similar. I did have one that was 16Gauge and .45-70.
 
I think you need to take a chamber cast of the rifle barrel and to slug the bore. It would not surprise me to find a 40-82 with a groove diameter as large as .410 instead of the nominal .407 You can use parafin wax for the chamber cast and put a piece of cotton string in the center so that if the was plug breaks during removal, you do not loose the pieces.

cheers mooncoon
 
If you can get pic's of the proof marks, post them please. I've aquired a rather obscure ( I'd think) book called " The Standard Directory of Proof Marks, with WWII German Ordnance Codes " by Gerhard Wirnsbeger. I've got lots of chair time at the moment, I'd enjoy a little puzzle to solve.
I've got several Belgian Guild guns in need of careful repair myself, one's even a Cape rifle not unlike yours
 
The gun is at a Gunsmith right now getting a bore casting done. When I get it back I'll try to get some photos and post. Even if it is a blackpowder gun, should be able to shoot it with reduced loads of smokess couldn't you?
 
I shoot smokeless in most of my damascus 12 guage guns and use loads that give under 7000 psi. I do not use smokeless in 20 guage guns because all of the published pressures are much higher.
It is an individual decision and I would further measure your chamber wall thickness which should be around .15". Any less than that and I would be very hesitant about using light smokeless loads

cheers mooncoon
 
I don't think I'll try shooting the shotgun side but the rifle side looks interesting. I would say there is about 3/8" of steel surrounding the bore so it should be safe with a reduced load. A 10.4 mm bore (if the underbarrel mark is correct) equates to about a .416 calibre !
 
Back
Top Bottom