W.Richards sxs,Need info Please

88 man

Regular
GunNutz
Rating - 100%
418   0   0
Location
Grafton Ont
Hey Guys
I picked up a very nice looking W.Richards sxs 12 ga.The barrel is chrome coloured as well as the forend spacer and the receiver is brass coloured.Hammered shotgun and barrel is marked laminated steel so I know it's bp.I guess it should have extractors but there not with the gun so unknkown whereabouts !!!.I checked out the web site and did find they are to be great guns handmade in England.I don't know if it's worth it or not but can send for a factory letter for 25 English dollars and thinking about it for sure.Pics will take a couple days but any help in the mean time would be great !!!!!
Thanks, 88
 
Look at the proof marks. There is every likelihood that you will find Belgian ones. If so, this is a case of a name being used for marketing purposes.
A genuine English made Westley Richards will have very different markings. Is there a London Address?
Don't send any money until you have examined the proofs.
 
No addy on it anywhere,just W.Richards on both sides of the trigger mec that sits in the stock. There are proof marks so will look at them and get back.
Thanks
 
The gun is not a Westley Richards, it is a William Richards and most that I have seen are economy grade guns. I would not waste your money on a factory letter. I can't find any info on W Richards but am pretty sure they were in business from the 1860s or so until around 1900 and the ones that I have seen were british.
An extractor is not a terribly difficult part to make and you should be able to make a replacement for your gun.
Many WW Richards have a very distinctive top lever, very broad at the base or pivot area and draws a top bolt back in a fore and aft direction when opening or closing the gun

cheers mooncoon
 
Like Tiriaq said, maybe a Belgian. They were famous for building economy grade shotguns and marking them with names very similar to famous makers. W. Richards (Westley Richards) Barker Bros. (Parker) L.C. Schmidt (L.C. Smith) are a few I've seen.
 
I concur with Mike Webb,,,steer clear unless very inexpensive and have it checked by a good gunsmith, I'm certain it's not a Wesley Richards, just some outfit trying to make money on a name.
 
If the W. Richards name ever becomes collectable I have few for the someone that wants to get in early.:cool:

Top 2 are both 10 gauge
DSC03241.jpg


DSC03236.jpg


DSC03242.jpg


You should see this type of proof marks
DSC03247.jpg
 
From their (w.richards) website.

"There are many W Richards reproduction guns throughout the world. A genuine gun will have W Richards (Gunmakers) Liverpool Ltd (or Preston/London etc) stamped on the rib between/above the barrel(s)."
 
Back
Top Bottom