wanted Hornady 44 cal ball / trade for 36

lone ranger

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
220   0   1
Location
sask
Hi,,,I would like to purchase some Hornady" or other" 44 cal ball diameter 454 or 451 for my cap N ball revolver.
please contact me if you have some.
will buy off CGN members as well.


UP DATE- will trade 36 cal for 44 there is 77 in the box. trade only.
100-7672.jpg


100-7671.jpg
 
Last edited:
Glad you asked that. I was just looking this morning and couldn’t see anyone local that had any in stock. Last month I was looking for Hornady.375 for my.36 cal and a local LGS said it would only take a week for an order but turned out to be 3 weeks. I don’t have a .44 yet but I can smell one coming.:cool:
 
I suppose I should pic up a Mold and start making them this winter. Might be fun.
I have been on the phone & computer all morning and have found nothing for 44
 
Last edited:
lone ranger:Nothing beats casting your own! No more dependence on sporadic supply(As in your current predicament). Though there are any number of commercial and custom molds available....Lee molds are always a good investment. Some may turn their noses up at them...but they do produce decent bullets and ball.
Lee molds are dirt cheap...so not hard on the wallet. Around $26.00 apiece.
So... you can easily experiment with different ball diameters to get just the right size for your revolver. I like the fact that these molds are designed to leave very little in the way of a sprue, when cast. So.....sprue orientation isn't so critical. That being said...I still always orient the sprue side of Lee balls the same way, during loading. To maintain consistency.
Anyway....hopefully the supply drought(Most shooting supplies seem affected, right now) ends before long.

Al
 
I might as well go on U tube and learn all about it. I already re load.....so why not cast as well.

thanks Alex once again. I will see what LEE has to offer. here I go.
 
lone ranger: Bullet casting is actually quite easy. Its all about repeatability. The key to good results is to get into...then maintain a consistent rhythm throughout each step of the casting sequence. In many ways, it is just like reloading ammo. Once you've got mold temp and rhythm established, you can really crank out good quality bullets in a short period of time.
That is another reason why I like Lee molds. Made of aluminum...they heat up quickly and cast good bullets usually within the first few tries. I found that if you pre-heat them a bit first....much like you would with an iron or brass mold...Lee molds will start dropping good bullets almost right away.
There are likely all sorts of good videos on youtube, that explain the process, in detail. It won't take you long to master it. You don't need any elaborate equipment, either. Many bullet casters(including myself) get along very well, with a simple cast iron pot on a Coleman stove.
There is a real sense of accomplishment to casting your own bullets, too. Especially when you make that Dave Tutt shot with one created by you!

Al
 
Being consistent with temperature is most important. I cast at 610-620 degrees F and get a nice shiny, even cast. Too hot gets a frosty looking ball and they shrink just a little more when cooling. Too cold and you get the dimple in the sprue hole and a reject rate that is annoying. Have used Lee molds for years and they work just fine!
 
well I have received so much help from the BP shooters, I want to give back.

FREE 36 cal Hornady ball to some one who cant find any and is in need.
Just pay shipping $15bucks , they are heavy. WELL THAT DIDNT TAKE LONG. they are gone to a good home.

100_7671.jpg


100_7672.jpg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom