Wanting to pick up a 1851 revolver...where to shop for supplies?

jeffcarr88

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 80%
28   7   0
Location
London
Hey CGN,

I am wanting to pick up a Colt 1851 revolver soon, I just do not know where to shop for supplies, my local store to not carry anything (expect sometimes black powder). So I am after it all, caps, balls, ect.

Where do you guys buy it all?

Thanks,

- J
 
If your local shop has black powder available you are lucky, they can order caps for you, CCI and Remington are most common and most 1851 Colts take a # 11 size.
I find that casting the projectiles is not only cheaper but adds an extra dimension to the sport, to cap the chambers a mix of vegetable shortening and a bit of bee's wax works well.
 
Anyone know where they can point me to come great "general knowledge" on cap and ball pistols, shooting, cleaning, loading, ect. ect.
 
Try here first off:

h ttp://www.geojohn.org/BlackPowder/bps6.html

Youtube ad nauseum too.

Videos that come to mind on this, GermainesEmporium isn't too bad, but duelist1954 has full shooting segements. And Hickok45 of course, for some excellent cap & ball shooting too. There is the classic firearms, www. cap&ball dot eu channel? Really done well out of Hungry AFAIK.
 
Last edited:
Do a google search for Wonder wads, I make my own and never worry about messy crisco or grease.
They also keep the lead fouling down in the barrel.

~78 , 1851 Navy Pietta with a little work done to it and #10 nipples

I use about 7/8 to a full 38 cal case of Hodgdon 777 FFFG Granular Powder.
A 357 case is just a little too much and the 777 is water clean up.
 
Join the rest of us Darksiders at muzzleloadingforum.com. There's quite a few Canuckians and other 'furriners' there, and always something of interest to anybody drawn to the dark side.

tac - ten-year+ member
 
Back
Top Bottom