War museum

englishman_ca

CGN frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
156   0   2
I am heading out to Ottawa tomorrow, and will be visiting the War Museum.

Never been, no idea what to expect, but I am excited like a kid on Christmas eve.

I will have only 1-1/2 hours to spend total. Would be grateful for suggestions as to which displays to check out with my limited time. My interest is in older firearms.
 
1 1/2 IS TO LITTLE TIME. i spent three hours in there looking around and missed some. i would stay in the ww1 and ww2 area. i was not for the modern section at all. they have a whole hall full of tanks trucks cars you name it its there.
 
1.5 hours. Seriously not enough time. I agree about the WW 1 & 2 display, and seeing Hilters limo was pretty cool. I wasn't terribly impressed by the War of 1812 display though. Have fun, and if you are a current serving member of the CF, it's free.
 
I agree with the above. Don't waste any time with the 1812 display, nor the modern stuff. Being an Ottawa resident, I've visited the museum twice and still haven't really seen everything there is to see. Granted, I've probably only spent a combined total of 5 hours. Seriously, there is that much to see.

By the way, when you're ready for some food, Mill Street Brew Pub is right next door. I recommend it.
 
I've been on 2 occasions 4 hours minimum...my advise to you is tell who/whatever appointments that you have for the following half day, that something has come up and you can't make it. :D...War Museum must see= Rwandan genocide/ Romeo Dallaire. I shed a tear, and I'm a tough guy, a tough guy I tell ya!? ;p
 
great museum
I was part of a scholarship program that had its conference dinner in the hall with all the tanks and airplanes. Trully amazing. Only had a walk through (quick walk through) through the maze of the museum prior to getting to the dinner set up then we left. Can't wait to go back to spend some actual time
 
There is so much to see there, The tank collection is a must see.

100_1668.JPG

100_1667.JPG
 
I spent my time going through the WWI and WWII section. Oh my goodness!!!!!! Kit, rifles, excellent diarama!!!.

I took a group of army cadets with me, they were wide eyed!

I liked the fact that I could get my nose six inches away from some exhibits. I even took a pen flash light with me for looking at rifle markings in the subdued light.

I am a detail freak, but for the most part, everything was period correct. I was impressed, whoever put things together knew their stuff.

Lots of touchy feely stuff.

I will be making the trip again but with an overnight stay in town. I think that I will need the two days just to get around everything.
 
glad you enjoyed the place. when ever i am there i make it a point to stop in and vist even though i ve been 20 time lol. its a great place to see and i always find something new. i like rthe trench ex/ where it lets you see a piece of the trench system very nice.
 
Back
Top Bottom