Was there ever a long gun built in .41 Colt?

DANCESWITHEMPTIES

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Uber Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
I have been searching with no luck for an answer. Was there ever a lever or pump rifle built in .41 Colt? I know the Winchester Model 92 was made to chamber a lot of other revolver cartridges, but cannot find any mention of the .41 colt. Then I figured maybe Colt may have built one in their Lightening rifles. But no luck finding an answer..... Any old timer out here remember one?:D
 
I have never heard of one. I think the reason may be the .41 Colt was designed as a close range defensive round.

I have thought about getting a Winchester 1885 in 38-40 (same bore diameter) and having some kind of chamber adaptor made but just don't know how the .41 would perform at longer distances.
 
I realize the .41 was no long range wonder. But because most of these revolvers had a long gun mated to them in the same caliber, I just figured one might have been made...
 
I realize the .41 was no long range wonder. But because most of these revolvers had a long gun mated to them in the same caliber, I just figured one might have been made...

The only calibres shared between rifles and revolvers were the bottleneck rounds, .32, .38, and .44WCF's. The tiny rims and straight cases of the Colt rounds, .38, .41, .45 etc. weren't very good for use in rifles, so they weren't used.
 
Thanks for pointing out the obvious Bushman... Never really put much thought into the fact that most of these straight walled smaller calibers loaded originally with black powder & smaller rims would perform poorly in rifles.I was just thinking of today's standard powders (higher pressures) that can launch these bullets down a pipe & with modern manufacturing can be fed & extracted without problem in a newer lever or pump rifle.... Watching too many westerns I guess...:redface:
Not the most experienced guy with antiques, I did realize, however, that most of the straight walled rifle cartridges had larger cases. ie. the 40's,45, & 50 calibers. But never really considered the problems one of these smaller cartridges might cause in a rifle. Was it more a case of poor feeding & extraction or poor ballistics of the day? Or both?
 
Thanks for pointing out the obvious Bushman... Never really put much thought into the fact that most of these straight walled smaller calibers loaded originally with black powder & smaller rims would perform poorly in rifles.I was just thinking of today's standard powders (higher pressures) that can launch these bullets down a pipe & with modern manufacturing can be fed & extracted without problem in a newer lever or pump rifle.... Watching too many westerns I guess...:redface:
Not the most experienced guy with antiques, I did realize, however, that most of the straight walled rifle cartridges had larger cases. ie. the 40's,45, & 50 calibers. But never really considered the problems one of these smaller cartridges might cause in a rifle. Was it more a case of poor feeding & extraction or poor ballistics of the day? Or both?

I think it was mainly the feeding and extraction issue. Even today, some people feel that the .44WCF feeds more smoothly in a rifle than the .45 Colt. Also, the rims on the Colt calibres are very small, and were never intended to be gripped by an extractor. Something which could easily lead to problems!
 
Back
Top Bottom