waterfowl shot sizes

Gopher Slayer

CGN Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Ive never hunted waterfowl before and was just curious what shot size everyone shoots for duck and geese? also what choke tubes do you usually run? I was looking at that Blackcloud shot shells from all the reviews Ive read they seem to do the job. Also does anyone know of a brand of non-toxic shot shells that can be shot out of older fixed choke shotguns. Just wondering because I'm the only one of my friends that has a new gun that can shoot steel. I know that patterning the gun is important but just looking for some idea on what could work. I'm shooting a browning BPS 2 3/4 or 3" I would Prob opt for the 3"
 
4, 5 or 6 for ducks. 2's or BB's for geese.
"...non-toxic shot shells..." Bismuth. Not cheap or easy to find though.
 
I shot 4 geese last week with some of the 2 3/4" #3's Federal Black Cloud......all I can say is WOW, first time using this stuff, I was a Kent Faststeel koolaid drinker before, but I think I might have found a new favorite!

Furthest goose was 30 yards, closest was 15.....all of them dropped stone dead.....the 15 yard goose was almost inedible......a lot of shot up breast meat.

I had an IC choke, out of my 870 Express
 
Kent makes some non-toxic, non-steel shot although it is not cheap. It is called Tungsten Matrix and is around $40.00 for 10 rounds.

For steel, the Blackcloud is a good choice.
 
I've been experimenting with waterfowl ammo. #4's seem to have better luck with the quackers. (Although as far as I'm concerned (for steel shot)...it's all garbage.)

BB's for geese.
 
Kent's Fasteel 12 x 3 x 1-1/4 oz. 2's work well fro ducks, BB's for geese.

Federal's Black Cloud is devastating ... both birds and edible breast meat.

In the older guns I shoot, I far prefer 12 x 2-3/4 x 1-1/4 Kent Tungsten Matrix
(non-tox) ... 3's or 5's for ducks and their 12 x 2-3/4 x 1-3/8 ... 1's for geese.
Expensive, but from what I've found, better than lead !
 
Ive never hunted waterfowl before and was just curious what shot size everyone shoots for duck and geese? also what choke tubes do you usually run? I was looking at that Blackcloud shot shells from all the reviews Ive read they seem to do the job. Also does anyone know of a brand of non-toxic shot shells that can be shot out of older fixed choke shotguns. Just wondering because I'm the only one of my friends that has a new gun that can shoot steel. I know that patterning the gun is important but just looking for some idea on what could work. I'm shooting a browning BPS 2 3/4 or 3" I would Prob opt for the 3"

Ducks over decoys i like to Kent Fasteel in number 3 shot. The Tungsten Matrix is a wonderful load, very expensive as has been mentioned. I have shot it in 20g, 16g and 12 gauge. Any of the shot sizes are very effective on geese, my favorite duck load is a 1 1/8th oz load of TM number 6 shot.

What gun are you thinking of using it in? FS
 
#4 steel, 1550 fps for ducks

#2 steel, 1550 fps for geese

#1 reason guys don't like steel, is range... 30 meters & closer, #4 for ducks & #2 for geese WORKS!

Cheers
Jay
 
12ga, 3" , 1-1/8oz BB steel @1550fps through a mod choke. My particular load patterns perfectly in my gun and brings geese down with authority. I don't specifically hunt ducks, but if they fly into a spread of goose decoys, they get the same load.

Jim
 
Kent Fasteel 1's for geese, they will chop them down out to 50 yards. I tryed BB's and 2's both worked alright but I get the pellet count of 2's and nearly the mass of BB's with 1's. For ducks I shoot a mix of 7.5 Hevi-shot and Kent Fasteel 3's. I don't hunt ducks very often but I'm on my second case of shells all shot at geese.
 
Back
Top Bottom