Webley Green

BrotherRockeye

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
286   0   1
Not much of a Webley guy so thinkin of moving this down the road.
1889 Webley Green in .476 cal
Good overall condition.
Lots of folks here know way more than me about these irons.
Wondering what it might be worth these days and if there would be any interest in the EE or if it should go elsewhere.
Thanks.
336f53f075.jpg
 
Is it missing the hinge screw and cylinder retaining screw, and is the front sight modified?

I've seen some in the EE and it seems like they sell for about the same in Canada as the US.
 
Like i said...not a Webley guy...
Front sight looks original as is base pin retainer however it looks as though there is a piece missing from the hinge as seen in the little pic.
I did some research...
here's a translation of what I found as well as pics of the late(1891) and early (1889) models:
abf70d21ad.jpg
fc780dbb3d.jpg

WEBLEY GOVERNMENT " GREEN" Model off 1889 Modif 1891 English lawful revolver of the end of the 19th century. Very beautiful construction with independent rooms. Less than 4500 specimens manufactured. Bronzing d' origin. Cal .476 Specimen with modification of the systèle d' extractor-ejector that l' one will find later on the model 1896.
basically an 1889 modified in 1891 with a 1896 extractor...but it's missing.

The two pictured are listed @ 4250Euros each...that's only $5695 Canuck.. :eek:

Does that sound about right?
 
Last edited:
The two pictured are listed @ 4250Euros each...that's only $5695 Canuck.. :eek:

Does that sound about right?

I think that handguns in Europe go for several times what they do in Canada because of prohibitions on modern handguns. Just an impression that I have from looking at European prices occasionally

cheers mooncoon
 
Something odd about your WG, it has the early church steeple cylinder which typically did not have the cylinder retention mechanism you see in later Webley's. It was simply a screw above the pivot pin/screw like you see on MKI and MKIIs. Yet on you WG, it looks like the newer retention mechanism should be where you pivot pin is located, and the presumed correct screw retention screw is not present.

Or maybe it just looks odd from the way it photgraphed without the pivot and retention screws in place. Incidentally, the front sight looks correct from my perspective.

Looks to be in pretty decent conditon minus the screws. With a half decent bore these are very accurate large framed guns which I personally feel are in the same quality league as Colt SAAs of the period. Although more of a gun and less common that the military MK they generally seem a little under appreciated in the Canadian market. With the correct screws you should expect somewhere between $1500-2000. The screws might be a challenge to find. You can see nice examples on gunbroker for 3K but these never sell.

This another 1889 to compare with
g_webley_wg_gauche.jpg
 
Last edited:
The vertical mark above the hinge makes it look like that frame was at one point set up to use a newer type barrel/cylinder with the external cam/latch system but later on was changed for an earlier style barrel/cylinder that retains the cylinder with a horizontal screw.. except the screw has no head or was switched out for a pin (the original screw had a large head with a coin slot).

On the other side of the hinge is it a unslotted round head or does it have a screwdriver slot? The earlier type had a pin with unslotted head that came in from the right side, and a screw goes into the pin from the left. The newer system seems to have a screw on both sides of the pin.
 
Like i said...not a Webley guy...
Front sight looks original as is base pin retainer however it looks as though there is a piece missing from the hinge as seen in the little pic.
I did some research...
here's a translation of what I found as well as pics of the late(1891) and early (1889) models:

basically an 1889 modified in 1891 with a 1896 extractor...but it's missing.
abf70d21ad.jpg
fc780dbb3d.jpg


The only thing that throws me off from the pictures you posted even with the modified new cylinder extraction system the modification is with a newer barrel, i.e. your retention screw hole above the pivot is in the wrong place with the new retention system "modification". There is abit of franken webley going on that I have not seen before and I am having a hard time explaining. Does the cylinder number match to the frame?
 
I think that handguns in Europe go for several times what they do in Canada because of prohibitions on modern handguns. Just an impression that I have from looking at European prices occasionally

cheers mooncoon

I kinda figured as much,hence the :eek: guess I shoulda put a :p or :D

Just looking for a ballpark figure for when I decide to move it along.

I'll let the new owner figure the rest out ;)

thanks for the replies.
 
Looks like a 1889 barrel and cylinder on a newer WG Army frame.

the 1889s never had that cylinder retention device.
Check the numbers on the frame as its easy to tell by the frame ser # if its a 1889 or not.

Should still be a good shooter tho if the bores good.
 
Last edited:
Like i said...not a Webley guy...
Front sight looks original as is base pin retainer however it looks as though there is a piece missing from the hinge as seen in the little pic.
I did some research...
here's a translation of what I found as well as pics of the late(1891) and early (1889) models:

basically an 1889 modified in 1891 with a 1896 extractor...but it's missing.

The two pictured are listed @ 4250Euros each...that's only $5695 Canuck.. :eek:

Does that sound about right?

There was a nice 1991 that sold for about $1500 on GB a few weeks ago. ;)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom