Webley Mark II markings

critter928

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I posted this over on Milsurps.com, but thought it might get more traffic here even if maybe not from as knowledgeable of sources.

Could anyone shed some light on some markings my newest Webley mark II?

In particular all the date stamps and the "RERA" on the backstrap.

Any idea of where it was issued and seen service?

Thanks in advance for any input.

DSC_2551.jpg


DSC_2553.jpg


DSC_2565.jpg
 
Post those pics and ask the question at the British Militaria Forums, in the British Revolver subforum, and somebody will be able to tell you what they mean.
http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/
http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/forums/5/British-Military-Handguns

I suspect the "98" and "99" are date stamps for a repair or rebuild/upgrade done by a military armourer. The "5/14" may be regimental unit markings. I don't know what "rera" means.

Put it on British Militaria Forums and you'll get an answer. I posted similar questions there about markings on my MKI and was awed by the amount of info I got back - which regiment it belonged to, some regimental history, even that my pistol was quite possibly one that had been lost in action in one of the Boer wars. Very knowledgeable people on that forum, I lurk there a lot.
 
Post those pics and ask the question at the British Militaria Forums, in the British Revolver subforum, and somebody will be able to tell you what they mean.
http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/
http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/forums/5/British-Military-Handguns

I suspect the "98" and "99" are date stamps for a repair or rebuild/upgrade done by a military armourer. The "5/14" may be regimental unit markings. I don't know what "rera" means.

Put it on British Militaria Forums and you'll get an answer. I posted similar questions there about markings on my MKI and was awed by the amount of info I got back - which regiment it belonged to, some regimental history, even that my pistol was quite possibly one that had been lost in action in one of the Boer wars. Very knowledgeable people on that forum, I lurk there a lot.

Done!

Thanks for the tip.

Cheers.
 
5/14 is a date of issue IMHO.

it is my impression that the mark II was made and issued between 1894 and 1897. That makes me wonder what the 5/14 and the 98 refer to. 45 caliber is 50 guage I believe so they can't refer to guage. Wild guess would be that the 9/14 might be the date of re issue to a home guard at the start of WWI

cheers mooncoon
 
Guessing

Royal Engineers Regiment (auxilary/artillery ??

BTW most of the fun is in the extra learning you gain by doing your own research and then sharing as opposed to be spoonfed.
 
Guessing

Royal Engineers Regiment (auxilary/artillery ??

BTW most of the fun is in the extra learning you gain by doing your own research and then sharing as opposed to be spoonfed.

Thanks tips, but I have read hundreds of threads and come up short. I have resorted into ordering some books and asking on here. I never felt it was asking to be "spoonfed" but the rather next logical progression in trying to decipher them.
 
hundreds of threads

that is why you have'nt found anything, forums are limited. I spent 5 mins on some UK regimental museum sites and answered all your questions. I am not trying to be a prick but the real interesting stuff is learned when you go to the primary sources. Right down to who ate what on what day... The only mystery about the gun is the RERA answer that and you can start to piece together it's history. Enjoy.
 

Thanks again Jethunter. I seen the thread over there and just noticed now it was you who started it.

I have a thread started there now to see if I can get some more answers.

The RERA is the one that has me really confused as I have googled every acronym I can think of for it and got nothing.

I was hoping to find out what the trips back to the armours or factory meant with the year markings. Upgrades? Or just maintenance?

I have settled on one book and ordered it, and few more if it doesn't have the answers I seek.

In the meantime, I will continue to throw it out here and keep surfing other sites for more info.

If you are ever interested in letting the SA Webley's go, let me know. The wife is from there and it would be neat to add one to my just starting collection (only 2 so far).

Cheers.
 
The "RERA" stamp denotes "Riding Establishment, Royal Artillery".

The following comes from the War Department's "Instructions to Armourers, 1897" .... specifically Appendix I thereof, which sets out the various approved abbreviations for marking small arms:

RERAmark.jpg
 
The "RERA" stamp denotes "Riding Establishment, Royal Artillery".

The following comes from the War Department's "Instructions to Armourers, 1897" .... specifically Appendix I thereof, which sets out the various approved abbreviations for marking small arms:

RERAmark.jpg

You are the man Grant!

I was ready to bite my forehead trying to go through museum sites trying to find that!

Time to do some research on what they were all about as it is the first time I have heard of them.

Thanks again.

Cheers
 
Back
Top Bottom