Webley MK 1 4 " BARREL

budman

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Location
S.W Bantario
I have this pistol, I have been reloading 45acp Using 45 LC-250gr loading just under the Webley 455 spec with modern powder. My question is, how accurate is the 4" barrel Model. It shoots inconsistently, I tried various Seating depths. And. .38 cc of powder. Any help would be appreciated to fix my Inconsistent performance.
 
what sort of slugs are you shooting ? I found with my Mk VI, it was extremely important to use a hollow based slug with a long tapered point like the factory shells. The same goes for a Webley Pryse that I have

cheers mooncoon
 
Hi there,
With my mk1 my best load so far is using 4.8 gr of trail boss under a 200gr SWC i had groupings of 3.5 inches at 15m on a rest. By the way using flat base bullets with SOFT cast bullet will work just fine too.
 
Minto-20141003-00345_zpsbaaba77d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
North%20Perth-20141026-00354_zpssfhsoeie.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
 
I think your choice of slugs is the problem; if they are from a .451 mold, they are undersize and your only hope would be to cast them from soft lead in the hopes that they will expand (obturate). Try phoning Marc Spender of OMA bullets at108 Mile Ranch BC and phone # 250 619 5469 because he casts the ones that I use

cheers mooncoon
 
Mooncoon, does that mean I have to change my bullet seating die in my press,
it is for 45acp?

I govern seating depth in part by the length of the cylinder. For slugs that are crimped in place, obviously I seat so that the shell can be crimped into the groove in the slug and finally I try to have any lube grooves inside the shell. So I guess the final answer is seating is a balance by all three of those criteria

cheers mooncoon
 
I am not using black powder, I am using modern powder at reduced load.
That gun smith and I went on pressure ratings, and that came out .38cc's
in a Lee 1000 press. It uses a disk measure system. I can go up to .40cc's.

I went and looked, 4.2 grains of powder through a number .38 disk hole.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom