Webley MP thoughts

Moe

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Location
Fredericton
I had a British Bulldog 2" in 450. It had a hideous small grip. Kicked quite a bit and was difficult to shoot. Lots of blast. Then I got a Webley RIC 4.5" Now I am thinking of a Webley MP with a grip about 1/4" shorter than a RIC and a barrel of 2 to 2.5". I do reload.

What do you all think of shooting these?

Grip, blast, accuracy, and any other considerations that come to mind.

Talk me into it or off of it.

Thanks
Moe
 
Hi Moe,
I have not shot a Webley RIC myself, I have shot a No.5 which is essentially a “large-frame” RIC and a mkI. The mkI had about a 3in barrel and when I got the load right was reasonably accurate for a pre-1898 revolver. The 2in barrel is probably getting into close self defence category so I’m guessing made to hit a man sized target at 10yds and everything else is a coincidence. There is a reason that webleys target revolver (WG) had a 7.5in barrel... I’m guessing since you didn’t specify the brand of the bulldog that it is one of the many knock offs so which ranged widely in quality. If this is the case I would bet a good quality Webley would out shoot it and have tighter tolerances. Black powder revolvers do tend to have a lot of cylinder gap though to clear fowling. It sounds like you’ve got a decent idea about what you are getting into and you don’t buy antique revolvers because they are perfect hahaha. I personally prefer .455 and .476 because it has a tiny bit more punch than 450 but if you already have 450 brass that’s not really worth it. My other suggestion is getting something different from what you already have, like a different action like a mark series is fun after using a loading gate style.
Hope that helps.
 
Thanks for the reply. I have since decided on an MP. I do agree about the loading gate vs hinge action. The problem is my wife who enjoys this hobby with me is unable to open the hinge action MK series.

Cheers
Moe
 
Back
Top Bottom