Webley owners, please advise..

Justins1877

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Location
Surrey,BC
Hey guys!

I recently just picked up a Webley MK1** with a shaved cylinder for .45 ACP as many have. I have been told many antique owners that have firearms chambered in .45 ACP shoot Wolf Bullets 230gr LRN or their 200gr LSWC rounds.

I contacted, Mr. Wolf regarding the velocity of his .45 and he quoted as saying "The current ammo velocity is 750 - 775 fps. Do you have that velocity that is recommended? It certainly can be done." I would have liked it a little lower, closer to the very high 6 - to low 7.

Anyone have any experience, with this ammo, or have any objections to the above mentioned FPS?

PS;

Reloading is in the near future.
 
I've been stuffing my Mk1 Webley for a few years now.
Many hundreds of 225gr. soft cast swc .454's have gone over the chrono at 650 to 750fps with no sign whatsoever of stress or wear to my revolver.
Mine has .009" cyl. gap, so speeds are somewhat lower than some Webleys will achieve.
I use Unique at +- 5 grains, or Alliant 2400 at +- 10grains, both in AR brass. Both with firm crimp. The 2400 is very dirty burning at this low pressure .. but, it's progressive, predictable and safe in it's linear predictability.

That Wolf ammo is probably OK for your Mk1**, probably, .. but bottom line is every antique shooter should handload to stay within their own, and their own old gun's, individual comfort zone.

It's worth it.
Webley's are whole lotta fun.





The chronograph is your best friend.
 
webley MKI**s are upgraded in 1914 and have MKV cylinders which are modern made so they can handle hoter loads than the regular MKIs
The chamber walls are 20 tho thicker in a MKV cylinder than the MKI cylinders.
I shoot that wolf ammo in my MKI ** hunderds of rds with no problems no signs of streching or problems. I know guys who shoot it in there regular MKIs to.
Im talking about the lead bullet ammo not the CJ stuff.
its still best to reload in regular MKIs in 45 acp but most guys buy the MKI**s so they can use that wolf ammo.
Consider regular 45 acp ammo is loaded to like 900 fps the wolf ammo is not anywhere near that speed.
lots of my reloads are closer to 800 fps in webley MKI and MKII.
 
Thanks a lot fellas for the replies.

I would like to get into reloading, and have a press all picked out - but until the situation with reloading supplies changes; there will be no reloading for me. There is the other matter of how cheap already reloaded ammo is too. Can't really mess will $20 a box for ACP!

Dingus, thanks again for all the wisdom. This forum is lucky to have members of all different knowledge ranges.
Shooting the "Wobbly" loose was another concern I had. I have done extensive reading on the Webley MK1 revolver ( sadly, there isn't much in the way of info from Google.) and I can find next to nothing regarding the double aster'ed Webley's, even from Wiki.

Any links you could provide, or suggested books that are essential on the subject?
 
Back
Top Bottom