Webley prices

H Wally

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
193   0   0
I'm looking to buy an average shooting condition antique webley on the boards and was wondering what would be considered a going average rate on them?

I'm talking a worn but still fully functional, no damage webley. An everyday shooter antique if you will.

Value? Price range? Just looking to find out what people consider reasonable.
 
Prices are all over the place with Webleys in the sub $1000 to 2+K and they don't always correlate to condition, so be very careful as with any antique.
H Wally you did not mention which Webley, but I will take a stab and guess your more interested in the miltary grade MKI-III(mkIII was mostly commercial sales). Most of the cylinders and actions on these revolvers are pretty tough, keep an eye out for bore condition. These earlier webleys seem to have a softer steel alloy. If previous owners were shooting any jacketed ammo there is a good chance the bore is worn. Be cautious with a 45acp converted cylinder, most of these came from the States and I can almost gaurentee full load (likely jacketed)45 auto passed down those barrels. If the rifling is shot your going hate shooting it. Probably your best deals are mechanically strong guns with poor cosmetics.

If you want a heavier framed revolver that shoots groups as good as any modern gun seriously look at the WG army models. Prices are higher probably 1.5 - 2K+ but you are getting way more gun.
 
Got mine for 1300$ shipped from a fellow CGN'er. It was a commercial MkI in excellent shape, no pitting and great bore/cylinders (everything on it is nitro-proofed too - barrel, cylinder and frame). The gun seems to have been professionally reblued and came with wood grips in excellent shape. The whole thing basically looks like it just came out of the box. The cylinder is cut to .45 ACP, but shows little or no usage.

Now, the collectible value on that may not be very high, but it's shooting antique value is at 100%, almost as if Webley still made them today and you had ordered it directly from the factory. It was a very good buy indeed... I doubt I'll ever get rid of that one. It should belong in the Webley museum for its' exceptionally good looks, lol! (if such a museum indeed exists)

As far as Webley Greens (WG) are concerned, you may want to look on some US sites or gunbroker... I was going to get a WG off some EE postings, but for some reason people up here want an arm and a leg for them. In the states, I've seen "target" WG's in great shape for $600-700 USD. Then some guy will end up buying it and will try to sell it here for 2500$ CDN, lol!

:eek:

Having said that, there is some good & reasonably priced stuff in the EE from time to time, and usually from the same sellers (the regulars with a good rep)... but that's not always the case with other WTS postings, so do your research first. Some stuff is expensive due to condition or rarity, which is understandable... but others are simply trying to make a few extra hundred (or even thousand) bucks on Kanuck suckers.

:kickInTheNuts:
 
What exactly have you been offered? Some details such as model, condition might be helpful to give a better response.
 
Your standard run of the mill MKII with pin prick pitting in the bore and pin prick pitting in the bluing. The asking price is $2000 though so I don't think I'll be touching it. :p
 
That's probably a wise move. For that coin you can hold out for a MKII in exceptional condition.

As far as 762mm's reference to $600-700 Webley WG's in great shape, if you find any at that price buy them without hesitation or let me know. I have been tracking the auction sites for some time now, seen some start the bidding in that range but they shake out a lot more expensive. Currently the cheapest opening bid on gunbroker or gunsamerica for a WG is $1395.

Sometimes the Canadian gun shows are fruitfull.
 
Back
Top Bottom