Webley Pryse revovler help

mrclean89

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Location
Nanaimo, BC
Hey guys, I just picked up a Webley-Pryse Belgian copy. Wondering if anyone knows where to find an exploded diagram of this gun. The venerable google has been no help :p

It needs a new top-break latch spring, so I have some work to do.

McLean
 
This the one from the EE? I wouldn't have called it a Pryse type, if that was in reference to the barrel latch. More like the latch used on any number of US top break revolvers.
Good luck finding a schematic. But making a latch spring shouldn't be an ordeal.
 
yes I just got it off there about a week ago. I figured a schematic would be difficult. Ive never made anything like that before. It will be interesting to try. Ill take it apart tonight If I have time and see what the deal is.

McLean

photo-84.jpg
 
Try looking on the internet for an Obscure book called Black Powder Gunsmithing by Ralph T. Walker. I found it to be useful to me, I spent yesterday morning working over an 1889 colt; the timing sucked...bad. A new hand and cylinder latch combined with several hours of fitting with a set of 8.00 toolmaker files from Can Tire...presto.
Works good. just take your time and exercise caution; it's usually doable.
Be sure that you can put it down and come back later should your patience run out. Can't hurry or force an antique; turns out poorly.
Seriously...try this or a similar book & take your time.
It must have taken me 3 months for the parts just to arrive...relax; the pistol made it 100 + years what's a little longer?
 
Try littlegun.be but there have been so many variants, just be careful taking it apart, those springs snap very easily, I hope you know how to make new ones, otherwise, I would recommend leaving it alone
 
Once you have carefully removed the top latch, you will be able to see what the spring is like. It is unlikely that it will be a complicated part.
 
Not big deal to do a new latch spring, I had Rusty Woods gunsmith in Mission do one for an old smith.


This the one from the EE? I wouldn't have called it a Pryse type, if that was in reference to the barrel latch. More like the latch used on any number of US top break revolvers.
Good luck finding a schematic. But making a latch spring shouldn't be an ordeal.
 
Making springs isn't that hard either; flat springs are just common sense ( and luck finding a similar size ). Coil springs are a matter of finding a local hobby shop to supply the correct size.
Pretty casual if you have basic tools & skills.
A main spring would be a bit more formidable mind you.
 
The flat top spring should be easy to make, I would just take a think saw blade and cut it to size, around $10 at Rona, you need a press drill for the holes. Advantage of that saw blade is that you don't have to mess with heat treating etc.

Would be easier if you show the top, do you have the old spring?
 
Back
Top Bottom